Calculating Period T in Terms of pi, λ, and g

Rearranging it, we have k = 2π/λ, and substituting that into the equation for V, we get V = √(g/2πλ).Now, we can substitute this into our equation for T to get T = λ/√(g/2πλ).Simplifying, we get T = √(2πλ/g), which is the final equation for finding the period T in terms of pi, lambda, and g.In summary, the period T for a wave of wavelength lambda can be expressed as T = √(2πλ/g) in terms of pi, lambda, and g.
sphouxay

Homework Statement

Find the period T for a wave of wavelength (lambda) .
Express the period in terms of pi, lambda , and g.

Homework Equations

T = lambda/velocity,
lambda = velocity/frequency
T= 1/frequency
k (wave number) = 2pi/lambda
V = Squareroot of (g/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried several attempts but nothing leads me to the terms I needed alone. More will be added later if I find out.

Physics news on Phys.org
sphouxay said:

Homework Equations

T = lambda/velocity,
lambda = velocity/frequency
T= 1/frequency
k (wave number) = 2pi/lambda
V = Squareroot of (g/k)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried several attempts but nothing leads me to the terms I needed alone. More will be added later if I find out.
As you said, T = λ/V. This is a good starting point.
Next, you can use your expression for V here.

One possible solution could be to use the equation T = 1/frequency and substitute in the equation for frequency given by lambda = velocity/frequency. This would give us T = 1/(lambda/velocity), which simplifies to T = velocity/lambda. Then, we can use the equation for wave number, k = 2pi/lambda, and substitute it into the equation for velocity, V = √(g/k). This gives us V = √(g/(2pi/lambda)), which can be rearranged to λ = 2piV^2/g. Finally, we can substitute this value of lambda into our initial equation for period, giving us T = (velocity)/(2piV^2/g). This expresses the period T in terms of pi, lambda, and g.

Related to Calculating Period T in Terms of pi, λ, and g

1. What is the formula for calculating period T in terms of pi, λ, and g?

The formula is T = 2π√(λ/g), where T is the period, π is pi, λ is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. How do pi, λ, and g affect the period of a pendulum?

Pi and λ both have a direct relationship with the period, meaning that as pi or λ increase, the period also increases. On the other hand, g has an inverse relationship with the period, so as g increases, the period decreases.

3. Can this formula be used for any type of pendulum?

Yes, this formula can be used for any type of pendulum, as long as the length (λ) and the acceleration due to gravity (g) are known.

4. How do you measure the length of a pendulum for this formula?

The length of the pendulum (λ) is measured from the point of suspension to the center of mass of the pendulum.

5. What is the unit of measurement for the period T in this formula?

The unit of measurement for the period (T) in this formula is seconds (s).