Calculating Period for Simple Harmonic Motion in Physics Lab

So I am confused.In summary, the student is working on a lab for Physics I and is questioning if they are in the right area to ask their question. The lab is titled "Simple Harmonic Motion" and the question is about finding the period using a formula provided by the instructor. The student is confused because the instructor initially told them to divide time by the number of oscillations, but then told them to use the formula with the number of oscillations divided by time.
tralblaz
First, I hope this area is the right one for my question. I am working on a lab for Phyiscs I. The lab title is "Simple Harmonic Motion". Okay her is the deal and the question. My instructor told us to find the period by dividing the Time recorded by the number of oscillations (back and forth motion) (see below)
Time/ Number of oscillations (back and forth motion)
Is this the correct formula?
Thanks,
:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
tralblaz said:
First, I hope this area is the right one for my question.

Homework goes in the Homework Section.

My instructor told us to find the period by dividing the Time recorded by the number of oscillations (back and forth motion) (see below)
Time/ Number of oscillations (back and forth motion)
Is this the correct formula?

I don't see what you're confused about. Your instructor told you the formula.

I just wanted to double check to make sure, because after my instructor told us to use the formula that way, he came baack and told us to use thr formula as the number of oscillations (back and forth) divded by t (time)

Related to Calculating Period for Simple Harmonic Motion in Physics Lab

What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point due to the restoring force of a spring or pendulum. This motion follows a sinusoidal pattern and can be described mathematically using equations such as Hooke's Law and the equation for simple harmonic motion.

What is the difference between simple harmonic motion and other types of periodic motion?

The main difference between simple harmonic motion and other types of periodic motion, such as circular motion or elliptical motion, is that simple harmonic motion follows a linear path. This means that the displacement, velocity, and acceleration of the object can be described using simple mathematical equations and there is a direct relationship between them.

What is the role of the restoring force in simple harmonic motion?

The restoring force in simple harmonic motion is responsible for bringing the object back to its equilibrium position after it has been displaced. This force is directly proportional to the displacement of the object and acts in the opposite direction, towards the equilibrium point. The restoring force is what allows the object to oscillate back and forth in a periodic manner.

How is simple harmonic motion related to energy?

In simple harmonic motion, the total energy of the system remains constant. This is because the only forces acting on the object are the restoring force and any external forces, which do no work on the system. As the object moves back and forth, its potential energy and kinetic energy are constantly changing, but the total energy remains the same.

What are some real-life examples of simple harmonic motion?

Some common examples of simple harmonic motion include the motion of a mass attached to a spring, the motion of a pendulum, and the motion of a vibrating guitar string. Other examples can be found in everyday objects such as the motion of a car's suspension system, the motion of a swing, and the motion of a tuning fork.