Calculating Percent Uncertainty in Area of a Circle

In summary, the area of a circle with a radius of 3.8x10^4 cm is approximately 1.14x10^9 cm^2 with an uncertainty of +/- 5 cm. To find the percent uncertainty of the final answer, the percent uncertainty of the original value (32,000 cm +/- 5 cm) can be added to the percent uncertainty of squaring and multiplying by pi.
fattydq
I am asked "What is the area and it's approximate uncertainty of a circle of radius 3.8x10^4 cm?"

Now finding the area is easy. In my text it says that when you aren't GIVEN an uncertainty, you can assume it is a reasonable figure in the last digit, so in this problem I am assuming the original value is 32,000 cm +/- 5 cm. So far so good...

Now, how do I find the percent uncertainty of my final answer? Because I know the percent uncertainty in my 32,000 cm figure, but how does this come into play after squaring it and multiplying it by pi?

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

fattydq said:
I am asked "What is the area and it's approximate uncertainty of a circle of radius 3.8x10^4 cm?"

Hi fattydq! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Surely the "last digit" is the 8 … the question says 3.8x104 cm, not 3.8000x104 cm ?

If you have an error of 1% in something, does the error change if you multiply that something by π?

And what happens if you square it (try it, and see)?

I thought if you had a percent uncertainty...and multiplied it by something else with percent uncertainty, that you would add the two values to get the final percent uncertainty?

That's right! :smile:

So if you square something, then the uncertainty … ? :wink:

Related to Calculating Percent Uncertainty in Area of a Circle

What is percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is a measure of the potential error or variability in a measurement. It is expressed as a percentage and reflects the level of confidence in the accuracy of the measurement.

How do you calculate percent uncertainty?

Percent uncertainty is calculated by taking the absolute uncertainty (the margin of error in the measurement) and dividing it by the measured value, then multiplying by 100 to get the percentage.

Why is percent uncertainty important?

Percent uncertainty is important because it gives us an idea of how reliable our measurements are. A larger percent uncertainty means there is a higher chance that our measurement is not accurate, while a smaller percent uncertainty indicates a more precise measurement.

What factors can contribute to percent uncertainty?

There are several factors that can contribute to percent uncertainty, including limitations of the measuring instrument, human error, and inherent variability in the quantity being measured.

How can percent uncertainty be reduced?

Percent uncertainty can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments, taking multiple measurements and calculating the average, and being careful to minimize human error during the measurement process.