Calculating Peak Force of Falling Object with Load Cell and Steel Cable

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving dropping a mass and using a load cell to measure the peak force. The speaker is having difficulty calculating the force accurately due to factors such as the stretch of the cable and the bouncing of the weight. They are seeking a way to verify the peak load measured by the load cell.
jimbojones21
I'm running an experiment where I drop a mass (99.7kg) a distance of 1.8m. The load is suspended from a very rigid structure through a steel cable.

I currently have a load cell in series with the cable and mass. I acquire data at 1000Hz and my load cell tells me I have a peak force of about 6000lb.

I'd like a way of verifying the peak load I'm reading through my load cell.

This is what I have so far:
Potential energy = mgh = 1760 Joules
To calculate load, I thought I would need to calculate the distance the steel cable stretched after the load dropped. This is where I have difficulty. I found a utility that tells me the stretch of my cable for a given weight. It tells me I will get a stretch of 0.0006989049 meters on my 9ft cable.

Using Work = Force x Distance,
Force = 1760 / 0.000698 = 2518940N = 566280 lb, which is obviously wrong.

Now I'm thinking there is a couple of problems with my calculations:
1- The stretch distance is not accurate because it does not take into account that the weight was dropped from a height and has momentum
2- The weight bounces back up after initial impact and keeps bouncing back up and down several times before the weight comes to rest.

Any way to do this calculation with the information I have?

Physics news on Phys.org
jimbojones21 said:
I found a utility that tells me the stretch of my cable for a given weight. It tells me I will get a stretch of 0.0006989049 meters on my 9ft cable.
That is the stretch in equilibrium, with ~1000 N force, not with the ~30,000 N you have. If you increase the distance by a factor 30 then the force becomes ~100,000 N, that is at least in the right order of magnitude.

The force won't be uniform across the stopping distance and your stopping process is of the order of the 1 ms sampling frequency, so I wouldn't expect a good match anyway.

The bouncing shouldn't matter if you just consider the process until the weight is at its lowest point.

Related to Calculating Peak Force of Falling Object with Load Cell and Steel Cable

1. What is the peak force of a falling object?

The peak force of a falling object is the maximum force experienced by the object as it falls towards the ground due to the acceleration of gravity. It occurs at the moment of impact when the object hits the ground.

2. How is the peak force of a falling object calculated?

The peak force of a falling object can be calculated using the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2 on Earth). The value obtained from this calculation represents the peak force experienced by the falling object upon impact.

3. Is the peak force of a falling object affected by its mass?

Yes, the peak force of a falling object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the mass of the object, the greater the peak force it will experience upon impact.

4. Does the height from which a falling object is dropped affect its peak force?

Yes, the height from which a falling object is dropped does affect its peak force. This is because the higher the object is dropped from, the longer it has to accelerate and the greater the force it will exert upon impact.

5. Can the peak force of a falling object be reduced?

Yes, the peak force of a falling object can be reduced by increasing the duration of the fall. This can be achieved through the use of a parachute or other means of slowing down the object's descent. Additionally, the surface on which the object lands can also affect the peak force, with softer surfaces reducing the force of impact.