Calculating Oxygen Usage from Ideal Gas Characteristics

In summary, the standard cylinder of oxygen used in a hospital has a gauge pressure of 13,800 kPa and a volume of 16 L at room temperature. With a constant flow rate of 2.4 liters/min, the cylinder will last for approximately 6.67 minutes. To use Boyle's law, the gauge pressure must be converted to absolute pressure by adding the atmospheric pressure of 101 kPa. The equation PV = k can be used to find the final volume if the initial and final pressures are known.
N_L_
A standard cylinder of oxygen used in a hospital has the following characteristics at room temperature (295 K): gauge pressure = 13,800 kPa (2000 psi), volume = 16 L (0.016 m^3). How long will the cylinder last if the flow rate, measured at atmospheric pressure, is constant at 2.4 liters/min?

I tried to find the volume (in liters) at atmospheric pressure. It didn't come out right.

Since nRT is constant do I need to find the number of moles?

Am I taking the wrong approach?

Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming temperature is constant you could use Boyle's law.

~H

Hootenanny said:
Assuming temperature is constant you could use Boyle's law.

~H

Does that work for gauge pressure?

Thank you.

N_L_ said:

Thank you.

You must first convert it to absolute pressure, remember;

[tex]P_{gauge} = P_{abs} - P_{atm}[/tex]

~H

N_L_ said:

Thank you.
Just add atmospheric pressure to the gauge pressure to get absolute pressure.

P absolute = P gauge + P atmospheric

= 13,800 kPa + 101 kPa

= 13,901 kPa

PV = k

If I don't need to know k, how to I use the equation?

N_L_ said:
P absolute = P gauge + P atmospheric

= 13,800 kPa + 101 kPa

= 13,901 kPa

PV = k

If I don't need to know k, how to I use the equation?

If you know the pV is constant you can make an equality with respect to the intial and final pressures and volumes, thus;

[tex]p_{i}V_{i} = p_{f}V_{f}[/tex]

~H

Many thanks for all of the help.

Related to Calculating Oxygen Usage from Ideal Gas Characteristics

1. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept in physics and chemistry that describes a gas as a collection of particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other. This means that, in an ideal gas, the particles are assumed to have no size and to not attract or repel each other.

2. How does an ideal gas behave?

An ideal gas follows the gas laws, which describe the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of gas particles. According to the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

3. Is oxygen an ideal gas?

Oxygen is a diatomic gas, meaning it consists of two atoms bonded together. In most conditions, oxygen behaves similarly to an ideal gas, but at low temperatures and high pressures, it deviates from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular forces between the oxygen molecules.

4. How is oxygen used in the concept of ideal gas?

Oxygen is often used as an example in ideal gas calculations and experiments because it is a commonly found gas in the Earth's atmosphere. Its properties and behavior are well-studied and understood, making it a useful tool for understanding ideal gas laws.

5. Can an ideal gas exist in real life?

An ideal gas is a theoretical concept and does not fully exist in real life. However, at low pressures and high temperatures, many gases behave similarly to an ideal gas and can be treated as such for practical purposes. In most cases, the ideal gas law provides accurate predictions and can be used to model the behavior of real gases.