Calculating Oxygen Mass and Leak in a Tank Using Ideal Gas Law

In summary, a welder fills a tank with oxygen at gauge pressure 3.25 x 10^5 Pa and temperature 36.0 degrees C, with a volume of 7.60 x 10^-2 m^3. With a small leak, the pressure of oxygen in the tank decreases to 1.80 x 10^5 Pa when the temperature is 22.4 degrees C. Using the ideal gas law equation, the initial mass of oxygen is found to be 308 grams. By converting the gauge pressure to absolute pressure, the correct answer is obtained for the second part.
tweety24

Homework Statement

A welder fills a tank, volume 7.60 x 10^-2 m^3, with oxgyen (32.0 g/mol) at gauge pressure 3.25 x 10^5 Pa and temp. 36.0 degrees C. The tank has a small leak, and some of the oxygen leaks. When temp. is 22.4 degrees C, pressure of oxygen in tank is 1.80 x 10^5 Pa.

Find initial mass of oxygen.
Find mass of oxygen that leaked out.

Homework Equations

pV = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand that I need to find the answer to the first part in order to get the answer to the second part. I used the ideal gas law equation to solve the first part and got the answer to be 308 grams but it keeps telling me that's wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try converting the gauge pressure to absolute pressure by adding the atmospheric pressure to the gauge pressure.

thanks I tried that and got the correct answer :)

Related to Calculating Oxygen Mass and Leak in a Tank Using Ideal Gas Law

What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas composed of molecules that are assumed to have no volume and do not interact with each other. It follows the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of gas.

What is the composition of oxygen in a tank?

Oxygen in a tank is typically composed of pure oxygen gas, meaning it is 100% oxygen with no other gases present.

How is the pressure of oxygen in a tank determined?

The pressure of oxygen in a tank is determined by the number of moles of gas present, the volume of the tank, and the temperature of the gas. This can be calculated using the ideal gas law (PV = nRT).

What happens to the pressure of oxygen in a tank when the temperature changes?

According to the ideal gas law, as the temperature of the gas increases, the pressure of the gas also increases. This is because the molecules of gas have more energy and collide with the walls of the tank more frequently, increasing the pressure.

Is oxygen in a tank considered an ideal gas?

Oxygen in a tank can be considered an ideal gas under certain conditions, such as low pressure and high temperature. However, at higher pressures and lower temperatures, oxygen will deviate from ideal gas behavior due to intermolecular forces between the gas molecules.