Calculating Oxygen Cylinder Usage at 2.4 L/min

In summary, a standard cylinder of oxygen with a volume of 10 liters and gauge pressure of 2500 kPa at room temperature (300 K) will last approximately 4.17 minutes if the flow rate is constant at 2.4 liters/min. This can be calculated using the Ideal Gas Law, where pressure and volume are inversely proportional, and dividing the total volume by the flow rate to determine the time it will last. Alternatively, the number of moles of gas in the tank can be calculated and compared to the amount of moles coming out per minute. Both methods will yield the same result.
physicsss
A standard cylinder of oxygen used in a hospital has the following characteristics at room temperature (300 K): gauge pressure = 2500 kPa, volume = 10 liters. How long will the cylinder last if the flow rate, measured at atmospheric pressure, is constant at 2.4 liters/min?

I'm lost on this one...how do I relate flow rate to the Ideal Gas Law?

Physics news on Phys.org
PV= nRT so that Volume is inversely propotional to pressure. What is "atmospheric pressure" in terms of kPa and what would the volume be at that pressure?

If the flow rate is 2.4L/min, how many moles per minute is that? Remember, it is 2.4 L at 1atm and 300 K every minute. You can use the ideal gas law to find the total # of moles of gas in the tank to begin with. You can probably figure it out from there.

I don't see why you would need to calculate moles. You are given volume (at 2500 kPa) and that at atmospheric pressure, 2.4 liters/min come out. Use PV= nRT (where nRT is constant) to determine the number of liters at atmospheric pressure and divide by 2.4 liters/min.

That's true. It's more logically straightfoward to me to calculate the actual amount of stuff coming out of the tank and compare that to the total amount of stuff in the tank, but your method involves less calculation. It's a matter of personal preference I guess.

Related to Calculating Oxygen Cylinder Usage at 2.4 L/min

1. How do you calculate oxygen cylinder usage at 2.4 L/min?

To calculate oxygen cylinder usage at 2.4 L/min, you will need to know the size of the cylinder in liters and the flow rate in liters per minute. Then, divide the cylinder size by the flow rate to determine the approximate usage time in minutes.

2. Can the flow rate affect the oxygen cylinder usage?

Yes, the flow rate can affect the oxygen cylinder usage. The higher the flow rate, the faster the oxygen will be depleted from the cylinder.

3. Is there a standard size for oxygen cylinders?

Yes, there are standard sizes for oxygen cylinders, ranging from small portable cylinders to larger stationary ones. The most common sizes are E, M, and G cylinders, which hold 625, 3000, and 5300 liters of oxygen, respectively.

4. How often should oxygen cylinders be checked for usage?

Oxygen cylinders should be checked regularly for usage, especially if they are being used for medical purposes. It is recommended to check the cylinder every 2-3 days to ensure it has enough oxygen and to avoid running out unexpectedly.

5. Can oxygen cylinder usage vary depending on the individual's oxygen needs?

Yes, oxygen cylinder usage can vary depending on the individual's oxygen needs. The flow rate and duration of oxygen therapy will impact the amount of oxygen consumed from the cylinder. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional to determine the appropriate flow rate and usage time for an individual's specific needs.