Calculating outlet temperature and heat transfer in an adiabatic spray cooler

In summary, the conversation discusses an adiabatic spray cooler and the various calculations and equations used to determine the outlet temperature of the air-water mixture. The Antoine equation, ideal gas law, mass and energy balance equations are all relevant in solving this problem. However, the final temperature of the gas mixture remains unknown and an overall enthalpy balance should have been performed to accurately solve the problem.
cdh5382
Question:

In an adibatic Spray cooler, a fine mist of liquid water is used to cool hot air by evaporating all of the water. The liquid flows in at a rate of 90 g/s and 30°C. The input hot air is at 450°C and 900 torr. The dewpoint of the input air is 47°C and the flow rate is 1362 L/s. Assume no change in pressure occurs for the air stream. Ue the antoine eqn for water.

Relevant eqn's:

Antoine eqn: P*= A-B/(T+c)
Absolte humidity: ha = mass of A in gas/ mass of dry gas
Relative humidity: hr = Pa(T)/P*(T)*100%
Mass balance
Energy Balance
Ideal gas

Progress so far:

I calculated the density of the hot air stream using the ideal gas law and kays rule w/ the assumption that the composition of air is .79 N2 and .21 O2 to be .57379 g/L.

This assumes that the air in was dry air. I suspect that this is where I went wrong. From here I calculated mass flow rate using volumetric flow rate time density.

Mass Balance simplifies to In=Out neglecting the accumulation generation and consumption terms.

I found realtive humidity to be .1152 using mass flow of water / mass flow of air

I found the mol fraction of water in the outlet stream to be
.1557= (90g/s water/18.016 g/mol)/(mol water + (487.93 g/s air)/(28.558 g/mol air)=yw

partial pressure of water is yw*P = .1557*900mmHg = 140.155 mmHg

Using antoine eqn and a= 8.10765 b= 1750.286 c=235 the temperature of water at this partial pressure is 58.66°C.

I don't think I can start using the energy balance w/oknowing the outlet temperature of the air H2O mix. Please help

Engineering news on Phys.org
The outlet temperature is not 58.66 C because the water vapor in the outlet stream is superheated. This problem was not solved correctly. An overall enthalpy balance should have been performed on the device. The only unknown would have been the final temperature of the gas mixture.

Related to Calculating outlet temperature and heat transfer in an adiabatic spray cooler

1. What factors affect the outlet temperature in an adiabatic spray cooler?

The outlet temperature in an adiabatic spray cooler is affected by the temperature and humidity of the inlet air, the flow rate of the liquid being sprayed, and the heat transfer coefficient of the spray nozzle.

2. How is the heat transfer calculated in an adiabatic spray cooler?

The heat transfer in an adiabatic spray cooler is calculated using the equation Q = mCp(T_out - T_in), where Q is the heat transfer rate, m is the mass flow rate of the liquid, Cp is the specific heat capacity of the liquid, and T_out and T_in are the outlet and inlet temperatures, respectively.

3. What is the purpose of an adiabatic spray cooler?

An adiabatic spray cooler is used to cool a liquid or gas by spraying it into a stream of cooler air. This process is commonly used in industrial applications to cool hot gases or liquids before they are released into the environment.

4. How does the adiabatic spray cooler maintain a constant outlet temperature?

The adiabatic spray cooler maintains a constant outlet temperature by adjusting the flow rate and temperature of the inlet air. As the inlet air temperature and humidity change, the cooler will adjust the liquid flow rate to achieve the desired outlet temperature.

5. What are the limitations of using an adiabatic spray cooler?

One limitation of using an adiabatic spray cooler is that it can only cool a liquid or gas to the temperature of the inlet air. Additionally, the cooling capacity of the spray cooler is limited by the flow rate and temperature of the inlet air, as well as the heat transfer coefficient of the spray nozzle.