Calculating Oscillation Frequency and Maximum Speed: SHM Problems Solved

• Thread starter bcjochim07
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Shm
In summary: But if we change our coordinates, we have to remember to change our equations as well. For example, if we call x=0 the equilibrium point, then the displacement is +10 and the force is -mg. So we need to make sure we use the right equations for the right coordinates.In summary, the frequency of oscillation for a spring with spring constant k, a mass m attached to it, and released from a point where the string is not stretched, can be determined by using the equation f=\frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m} } and finding the equilibrium point at which the spring force is equal to the weight force. Once the equilibrium point is found, the frequency
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

#1 A spring with spring constant k is suspended vertically from a support and a mass m is attached. The mass is held at the point where the string is not streteched. Then the mass is released and begins to oscillate. The lowest point in the oscillation is 20 cm below the point where the mass was released. What is the oscillation frequency?

#2 A 300g oscillator has a speed of 95.4 cm/s when its displacement is 3 cm and a speed of 71.4 cm/s when its displacement is 6 cm. What is the oscillator's maximum speed.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

#1 shouldn't be that difficult of a problem, but it's giving me trouble
Here's what I know: amplitude = .20 m
The total energy= 1/2k(.20 m)^2= 1/2m(vmax)^2
vmax= omega*A

But I can't figure out how to substitute the equations into each other to get the correct answer, which is 1.58 Hz

#2 I have also tried substituting the equations into each other:
3cm= Acos(omega*t+phi)
95.4 cm/s= -omega*A sin (omega*t+phi)

6 cm= Acos(omega*t + phi)
71.4 cm/s = -omega*A sin( omega*t + phi)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
any help would be appreciated

bcjoshim07,

problem #1. The amplitude in the first part is not 20cm. Be careful to think about how the mass was released.

problem #2. Try using energy conservation for the three points.

i don't see how it wouldn't have an amplitude of 20 in #1 because it's released from equilibrium and isn't amplitude the maximum displacement from equilibrium?

problem 2 I understand now. Thanks!

bcjochim07 said:
i don't see how it wouldn't have an amplitude of 20 in #1 because it's released from equilibrium and isn't amplitude the maximum displacement from equilibrium?

bcjochim07,

It was not released from equilibrium in this problem. Equilibrium is that point at which the spring is stretched enough so that the spring force is cancelling out the weight force. But this mass is released from the point where the spring is not stretched. What would that point be?

where kx=mg but I'm still not sure where to go with it

no wait that's not right

hmmm... a point where the string is not stretched...I'm still not sure couldn't it be any point above where it would be if it were just hanging from the string?

So they release the mass from rest, and it goes downward a total of 20cm. How far up does it go after that?

How is the amplitude related to the total displacement that the mass undergoes while it is moving downwards from the highest to the lowest point?

it is half of that amount so then the amplitude is 10cm? and then where should I go with that?

Write a force equation for the equilibrium point. (Where is the equilibrium point?) That will be an expression involving k and m. What do you get?

Then the normal formula for frequncy

[tex]
f=\frac{1}{2\pi} \sqrt{\frac{k}{m} }
[/tex]

kx=mg

so k=mg/x but how do I know what the equilibrium point is?

so equilibrium is at x=mg/k

Looks good; do you know what x is? Once you have that you're almost done.

Ahhh... so the equilbrium point is at 10cm so k=mg/.1m

substituted that into the formula and get frequency= 1.58 Hz

I'm still a little unsure of how we defined our coordinates--we must have defined them as the lowest point being x=0

Well, we know the release point is at the positive amplitude, so I would call that x=+10 for purposes of the oscillation (using the sine or cosine function, etc.). (That's because the oscillation includes the effects of gravity.)

However, for purposes of calculating the total spring force, we would probably want to call x=0 that point at which the spring is unstretched. Because if it's not stretched it is not putting a force on the mass, so F=0.

Related to Calculating Oscillation Frequency and Maximum Speed: SHM Problems Solved

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion where an object oscillates back and forth around an equilibrium point, with a constant amplitude and a constant period. It is caused by a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from the equilibrium point.

2. How do you calculate the frequency of oscillation in SHM?

The frequency of oscillation in SHM can be calculated using the formula f = 1/T, where f is the frequency and T is the period of oscillation. The period can be found by measuring the time it takes for one complete oscillation.

3. What is the relationship between frequency and maximum speed in SHM?

In SHM, the frequency and maximum speed are directly proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the maximum speed also increases. Similarly, as the frequency decreases, the maximum speed also decreases.

4. How do you find the maximum speed in SHM?

The maximum speed in SHM can be found using the formula vmax = Aω, where vmax is the maximum speed, A is the amplitude of the oscillation, and ω is the angular frequency. The angular frequency can be calculated using the formula ω = 2πf, where f is the frequency.

5. Can you solve SHM problems using calculus?

Yes, SHM problems can be solved using calculus. Calculus can help us find the equations of motion and the relationships between different variables in SHM. It can also help us find the maximum speed and the displacement of the object at any given time.