Calculating Orbital Period of Asteroid Between Mars & Jupiter

In summary: So, the orbital period would be approximately 2 Earth years. In summary, an asteroid located between Mars and Jupiter has an average distance from the sun of 500 * 10^6 km and would have an orbital period of approximately 2 Earth years, according to Kepler's third law.
Havenater23

Homework Statement

An asteroid is located between Mars and Jupiter. It is thought that a planet once orbited here but was somehow destroyed and broken up into small chunks(perhaps by getting hit by a comet or asteroid). If an asteroid in this belt has an average distance from the sun of 500 * 10^6 km what would the orbital period be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you use the keplers formula

t^2 / r^3

and make it proportional. I know the distance between Mars and Jupiter and their orbital periods , how can that help me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Havenater23 said:

Homework Statement

An asteroid is located between Mars and Jupiter. It is thought that a planet once orbited here but was somehow destroyed and broken up into small chunks(perhaps by getting hit by a comet or asteroid). If an asteroid in this belt has an average distance from the sun of 500 * 10^6 km what would the orbital period be?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know you use the Kepler's formula

t^2 / r^3

and make it proportional. I know the distance between Mars and Jupiter and their orbital periods , how can that help me?
Hi Havenater23.

Right: T2/R3 is the same for objects orbiting the sun.

What is Earth's orbital period and average distance from the sun?

Note: 1 Astronomical Unit ≈ 150 × 106 kilometers.

Average distance : 149.6 * 10^6 km

Period : 1.0 Earth years

havenater23 said:
average distance : 149.6 * 10^6 km

period : 1.0 Earth years
T2/R3 = ? for earth. It's the same for the asteroid.

How come ?

Havenater23 said:
How come ?
What is Kepler's 3rd Law?

That the period of orbital is squared and that radius is squared, and this proportional between two planets , I believe ?

So it would actually work with distances and period orbitals of other planets correct ?

Havenater23 said:
That the period of orbital is squared and that radius is squared, and this proportional between two planets , I believe ?

So it would actually work with distances and period orbitals of other planets correct ?
So, it will work for all objects orbiting the sun.

I need someone to check my work can you please solve this and tell me what you get?

I have it set up like so

t^2 / (500*10^6)^3 = 3.35*10^24

T2 / (500*10^6)^3 = 1 / (3.35×1024)

Now solve for T.

Okay I got the answer, but I don't think it's as long as I calculated. I got something like

2.05*10^25

I can see it being 2 years, but what am I doing wrong?

SammyS said:
T2 / (500*10^6)^3 = 1 / (3.35×1024)

Now solve for T.
This is:

[tex]\frac{T^2}{(500\times10^{\,6})^3}=\frac{1}{3.35\times10^{\,24}}[/tex]

Related to Calculating Orbital Period of Asteroid Between Mars & Jupiter

1. What is the formula for calculating the orbital period of an asteroid between Mars and Jupiter?

The formula for calculating the orbital period of an asteroid between Mars and Jupiter is P = 2π√(a^3/GM), where P is the orbital period in seconds, a is the semimajor axis in meters, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg/s^2), and M is the mass of the central body (in this case, the Sun) in kilograms.

2. How do you determine the semimajor axis of an asteroid's orbit?

The semimajor axis of an asteroid's orbit can be determined by measuring its orbital period and using the formula a = (P^2/GM)(1/3), where a is the semimajor axis in meters, P is the orbital period in seconds, G is the gravitational constant, and M is the mass of the central body (the Sun).

3. What units should be used when calculating the orbital period of an asteroid?

The units used when calculating the orbital period of an asteroid should be consistent with the units used for the other variables in the formula. Typically, the orbital period is measured in seconds, the semimajor axis in meters, the gravitational constant in m^3/kg/s^2, and the mass of the central body in kilograms.

4. Can the orbital period of an asteroid change over time?

Yes, the orbital period of an asteroid can change over time due to various factors such as interactions with other objects in the solar system, gravitational perturbations, and changes in the asteroid's own mass or shape. However, for most calculations, the orbital period can be assumed to remain relatively constant over a short period of time.

5. Is the formula for calculating orbital period only applicable to asteroids between Mars and Jupiter?

No, the formula for calculating orbital period can be used for any object orbiting a central body, as long as the units are consistent. This includes not only asteroids, but also planets, moons, and other celestial bodies.