Calculating Orbital Distance for a Satellite in Circular Orbit around Mars

In summary, the conversation discusses NASA's plan to launch a satellite into a circular orbit around Mars that will remain stationary above the Martian equator. The equation used to calculate the orbit is Fc = Fg, and the discussion also touches on the period of the orbit and the radius of Mars. The final conclusion is to use the equation T²/R³ = 4π²/GM to find the radius of the satellite's orbit.
Dark_Dragon
NASA wants to fire a satellite into a circular orbit around Mars that will maintain 'station' above the Martian equator.
what is the distance from the surface of mars?

ok first of all does the term 'station' refer to when g = 0?

and the equation I've used is:
Fc = Fg
mv²/r = GMm/r²

the two 'm' values cancel out and then I am left with:

v²/r = GM/r²

is it then possible to transform the equation into:

r = (GM/r²)*v²

is this procedure correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
By stationary it means that it will remain at that altitude, not falling or going up at all. Also I think given the context it means that it will be in a geostationary orbit, so it's period is the same as the planets rotational period. (I.e for the earth, it's period would be 24 hours, you'll have to look up the value for mars).

The first step you've used is correct;

[tex] \frac{v^2}{r} = \frac{GM}{r^2} [/tex]

but check the next step...remember you're multiplying by r...not v.

Next can you think of a way of expressing the period of the shuttle in terms of the velocity? (Hint: think of the orbit as a circle, with radius 2pi r, if it's going at speed v, what is the time period T?) You'll have to think of a way of getting that T into the equation above to solve for r.

period of rotation of Mars = 8.86 x 10^4 s
mass of Mars = 6.42 x 10^23 kg
Radius of Mars = 3.40 x 10^6 m

if i use v=2πr/T
v = 2*π*3.4e+6 / 8.86e+4
=241.1 m/s

wait, so would my new equation be:
r³ = GM/v² ?

or would i have to go back a few steps and turn it into:
4π²r/T² = GM/r²

if i took that step my equation could then become:
T²/R³ = 4π²/GM

Dark_Dragon said:
or would i have to go back a few steps and turn it into:
4π²r/T² = GM/r²

if i took that step my equation could then become:
T²/R³ = 4π²/GM

This is spot on, so now you know the time period, you can find out the radius of its orbit.

ok thank you so much for your help =)

Related to Calculating Orbital Distance for a Satellite in Circular Orbit around Mars

1. What is a satellite orbiting Mars?

A satellite orbiting Mars is a man-made object that is sent into space to orbit around the planet Mars. It can be used for various purposes such as communication, weather monitoring, and scientific research.

2. How does a satellite orbiting Mars stay in orbit?

A satellite in orbit around Mars stays in orbit due to the balance between its forward motion and the gravitational pull of the planet. As long as the satellite maintains a certain speed and altitude, it will continue to orbit Mars.

3. How long does it take for a satellite to orbit Mars?

The time it takes for a satellite to orbit Mars depends on its altitude and speed. Typically, it takes around 2 hours for a satellite to complete one orbit around Mars.

4. How many satellites are currently orbiting Mars?

As of 2021, there are currently 8 active satellites orbiting Mars. These include NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, ESA's Mars Express, and the Indian Space Research Organization's Mars Orbiter Mission.

5. What information can we learn from satellites orbiting Mars?

Satellites orbiting Mars can provide us with valuable information about the planet's atmosphere, surface features, weather patterns, and potential for human exploration. They also help us better understand the planet's history and potential for supporting life.