Calculating Optimal Radius for Cylindrical Vacuum Capacitor

In summary, the conversation was about designing a cylindrical vacuum capacitor with a given outer radius and a constraint on the electric field strength at the surface of the inner sphere. The question was to determine the radius of the inner cylindrical conductor and the maximum amount of energy that can be stored per unit length. The solution involved calculating the electric potential difference and using the relevant equations to find the electrical energy and taking the derivative with respect to b to find the optimal radius.
scotshocker

Homework Statement

We want to design a cylindrical vacuum capacitor of a given radius a for the outer cylindrical shell, which will be able to store the greatest amount of electrical energy, subject to the constraint that the electric field strength at the surface of the inner sphere may not exceed Eo
(a) What radius b should be chosen for the inner cylindriclal conductor?
(b) How much energy can be stored per unit length

Homework Equations

E=[itex]{λ}/{2πεEo}[/itex]
λ=2πεrEo

The Attempt at a Solution

Electric potential difference:
Vb-Va=∫Edl=∫EdA=∫Edr=[itex]λ/2πε[/itex]∫1/r=([itex]λ/2πε[/itex])*ln([itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex])
Electrical Energy in a capacitor:
U=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]λΔV=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](2πεrEo)*([itex]λ/2πε[/itex])*ln([itex]\frac{a}{b}[/itex])
I would take the derivative of this with respect to b to find the radius. I am not sure that I have set this up correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
r = b, right? Try to take the derivative wrt b then.

I did not check your algebra.

Also, lambda needs to be substituted for via your 2nd 'relevant equation'. It's a function of b and Eo.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Optimal Radius for Cylindrical Vacuum Capacitor

1. What is a cylindrical vacuum capacitor?

A cylindrical vacuum capacitor is a type of capacitor that consists of two conductive cylinders separated by a vacuum. It is used to store electrical energy and can be found in various electronic devices.

2. How does a cylindrical vacuum capacitor work?

A cylindrical vacuum capacitor works by utilizing the vacuum between the two cylinders to prevent electrical discharge. When a voltage is applied, the electric field is concentrated between the cylinders, allowing the capacitor to store energy.

3. What are the advantages of using a cylindrical vacuum capacitor?

One advantage of using a cylindrical vacuum capacitor is its ability to handle high voltages and currents. It also has a low dielectric absorption, making it suitable for high-frequency applications. Additionally, it is more stable and has a longer lifespan compared to other types of capacitors.

4. What are common uses for cylindrical vacuum capacitors?

Cylindrical vacuum capacitors are commonly used in RF circuits, high voltage power supplies, and broadcast transmitters. They are also used in medical equipment, particle accelerators, and other high-power applications.

5. How do I choose the right cylindrical vacuum capacitor for my application?

When choosing a cylindrical vacuum capacitor, you should consider factors such as the required capacitance, voltage and current ratings, and frequency range. It is also important to select a capacitor from a reputable manufacturer to ensure quality and reliability.