Calculating Oil Flow Rate in Cast Iron Pipe

In summary: After looking up the definition of kinematic viscosity, I found that it is a measure of how difficult it is for a fluid to flow. I also found that the density of oil is not given in the problem, so I will need to find it elsewhere. I also plan to calculate the velocity.
foo9008

Homework Statement

calculate the flow rate at which oil (kinematic viscocity = (10^-6) (m^2) /s )
flow thru a cast iron pipe 100mm diameter and 115 m long under head difference of 5m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hf = 32μLV / ρg(D^2) how to get the value of μ( dynamic viscosity) ? we need density of oil to get the μ , am i right ? but , density of oil is not given , how to do this ? i plan to get the value of v ( velocity ) and then multiply v with area to get the flow rate

Physics news on Phys.org
You're only given a few values in the problem statement. Only one is related to the properties of the fluid involved. Did you investigate its definition and perhaps its relationship to the parameters you seek?

gneill said:
You're only given a few values in the problem statement. Only one is related to the properties of the fluid involved. Did you investigate its definition and perhaps its relationship to the parameters you seek?
yes , but i still gt stucked , can somehow guide me how to proceed with this question ?

foo9008 said:
yes , but i still gt stucked , can somehow guide me how to proceed with this question ?
I'm not an expert in this area. But let's see what we can do.

You presented a single equation in your problem statement: hf = 32μLV / ρg(D^2)

Can you define for me each of the variables in that equation?
What did you discover about the definition of kinematic viscosity?

foo9008 said:

Homework Statement

calculate the flow rate at which oil (kinematic viscocity = (10^-6) (m^2) /s )
flow thru a cast iron pipe 100mm diameter and 115 m long under head difference of 5m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

hf = 32μLV / ρg(D^2) how to get the value of μ( dynamic viscosity) ? we need density of oil to get the μ , am i right ? but , density of oil is not given , how to do this ? i plan to get the value of v ( velocity ) and then multiply v with area to get the flow rate
What's the relationship between kinematic viscosity (##\nu##) and dynamic viscosity (##\mu##)?

It should be spelled out in your text. If it isn't, you can look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity

SteamKing said:
What's the relationship between kinematic viscosity (##\nu##) and dynamic viscosity (##\mu##)?

It should be spelled out in your text. If it isn't, you can look it up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viscosity
I noted my mistake, thank you

Related to Calculating Oil Flow Rate in Cast Iron Pipe

1. How do you calculate the oil flow rate in a cast iron pipe?

To calculate the oil flow rate in a cast iron pipe, you will need to know the pipe's diameter, length, and the pressure drop across the pipe. You can then use the Darcy-Weisbach equation, which takes into account these factors, to calculate the flow rate.

2. What is the Darcy-Weisbach equation?

The Darcy-Weisbach equation is an empirical equation used to calculate the pressure drop in a pipe due to friction. It takes into account the pipe's diameter, length, fluid density, viscosity, and the roughness of the pipe's interior surface.

3. How does the pipe's diameter affect the oil flow rate?

The pipe's diameter has a significant impact on the oil flow rate. A larger diameter pipe will have a higher flow rate compared to a smaller diameter pipe, assuming all other factors are constant. This is because a larger diameter pipe has more area for the oil to flow through, resulting in a lower pressure drop.

4. Can the oil flow rate be affected by the pipe's roughness?

Yes, the roughness of the pipe's interior surface can affect the oil flow rate. A rougher surface will cause more friction and result in a higher pressure drop, leading to a lower flow rate. It is essential to consider the roughness of the pipe when calculating the flow rate.

5. Is there a standard unit for oil flow rate in a cast iron pipe?

The standard unit for oil flow rate is typically expressed in gallons per minute (GPM) or cubic meters per hour (m3/h). However, it is essential to use consistent units throughout the calculation process to ensure accurate results.