Calculating Number of Sides in an n-gon with an Average Angle of 175°

In summary, the average measure of the interior angles of an n-gon is 175 degrees. Using the formula \frac{(n-2) \times 180^\circ}{n}, it is possible to solve for n in a convex n-gon. However, if the polygon is not necessarily convex, the formula may not apply and the word "average" suggests that this is the case.
blahblah
The interior angles of an n-gon have an average measure of 175 degrees. Calculate n.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi blahblah,

Welcome to MHB!

If you have a polygon with $n$ sides then each angle can be expressed as \(\displaystyle \frac{(n-2) \times 180^\circ}{n}\). Can you use this formula and the given information to solve for $n$?

Jameson

Jameson said:
Hi blahblah,

Welcome to MHB!

If you have a polygon with $n$ sides then each angle can be expressed as \(\displaystyle \frac{(n-2) \times 180^\circ}{n}\). Can you use this formula and the given information to solve for $n$?

Jameson

The implication of the question is that the polygon is not necessarily regular (possibly not even convex) - though given the nature of the question the average of the interior angles of an n-gon is probably an invariant.

In fact it is trivial to show that your formula is the average interior angle for an arbitrary convex n-gon, so that is all-right then!

CB

Last edited:
CaptainBlack said:
The implication of the question is that the polygon is not necessarily regular (possibly not even convex)

CB

I don't see that but trust that you know this better than I do. From the level of the other thread the OP made here it seems more likely to me that this is a straightforward question, but I should consider irregular polygons in the future.

EDIT: Ah I think I see your point now. The word "average" could definite imply that the polygon isn't regular although I think it might just be badly worded.

Last edited:
I have often seen the word n-gon used to describe a regular polygon or isogon, i.e., a polygon with all sides and all angles equal.

However, when I saw the term "average measure" for the interior angles, I assumed then a convex polygon, not necessarily regular, as the same number of sides results either way.

Related to Calculating Number of Sides in an n-gon with an Average Angle of 175°

What is an n-gon?

An n-gon is a polygon with n number of sides. It can range from a simple triangle (3-gon) to a complex shape with hundreds or even thousands of sides.

How do you calculate the number of sides in an n-gon?

The number of sides in an n-gon can be calculated by dividing 360° (the total number of degrees in a circle) by the average angle of the n-gon. For example, if the average angle is 175°, the formula would be 360°/175°, which equals approximately 2.06. Therefore, the n-gon would have 2 sides.

What is the average angle of an n-gon?

The average angle of an n-gon can be found by dividing the sum of all interior angles by the number of sides. For example, if an n-gon has 6 sides, the sum of its interior angles is 720° (6-2 = 4, 4 x 180 = 720). Therefore, the average angle would be 720°/6 = 120°.

Can an n-gon have a non-integer number of sides?

Yes, an n-gon can have a non-integer number of sides. This occurs when the average angle is not a factor of 360°, resulting in a decimal when dividing 360° by the average angle. In this case, the number of sides would need to be rounded to the nearest whole number.

What is the maximum number of sides in an n-gon?

The maximum number of sides in an n-gon is infinite. However, as the number of sides increases, the shape becomes closer and closer to a circle. In practical terms, an n-gon with hundreds or thousands of sides may be considered a circle for most purposes.