Calculating number of free electrons in metals

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the number of free electrons per cubic centimeter and per atom for sodium using resistance data and the Drude model. The value of resistivity for sodium is also mentioned. The issue of units is brought up and a solution for finding the number of atoms per cubic cm is suggested.
eforma
Hello everyone, I need your help on a question. The question is "calculate the number of free electrons per cubic centimeter (and per atom)for sodium from resistance data(relaxation time= 3.1Exp-14s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the formula for resisitvity. Probably you are using the Drude model.
And you need to look up the value of resistivity.
And better post this in the homework section.

nasu said:
Just use the formula for resisitvity. Probably you are using the Drude model.
And you need to look up the value of resistivity.
And better post this in the homework section.
Yea I was using the drude model. I know the value of resistivity of sodium to be 4.2Exp-6

Then what is your problem?
Some units won't hurt.

nasu said:
Then what is your problem?
Some units won't hurt.
I was able to solve the 1st part but he second part (per atom) kind of eludes me

eforma said:
I was able to solve the 1st part but he second part (per atom) kind of eludes me
Oh, you can find the number of atoms per cubic cm from density and atomic mass.

Related to Calculating number of free electrons in metals

1. How do you calculate the number of free electrons in a metal?

To calculate the number of free electrons in a metal, you can use the formula: n = (nT * V) / (A * t), where n is the number of free electrons, nT is the total number of electrons in the metal, V is the volume of the metal, A is the cross-sectional area, and t is the thickness of the metal.

2. What is the significance of calculating the number of free electrons in metals?

Calculating the number of free electrons in a metal is important in understanding its electrical conductivity and other properties. This information can also be used in various applications, such as designing electronic devices and studying the behavior of metals under different conditions.

3. Can the number of free electrons in a metal change?

Yes, the number of free electrons in a metal can change depending on various factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of impurities. These factors can affect the number of electrons available for conduction and can alter the properties of the metal.

4. How does the number of free electrons in a metal affect its electrical conductivity?

The number of free electrons in a metal is directly proportional to its electrical conductivity. This means that the more free electrons a metal has, the better it can conduct electricity. This is why metals are generally good conductors of electricity compared to other materials.

5. Is it possible for a metal to have zero free electrons?

No, it is not possible for a metal to have zero free electrons. All metals have at least some free electrons, even if it is a very small number. This is because of the unique atomic structure of metals, where the outermost electrons are not tightly bound to the nucleus and are able to move freely within the metal's lattice structure.