Calculating Nuclear Density of Oxygen Element

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of the nuclear density of Oxygen element, with a clarification that the calculation would be different for the nucleus or the atom itself. The conversation also touched upon the history and naming of Avogadro's/Loschmidt's number, with the suggestion that it may be called Loschmidt's number in German-speaking countries.
kidia
Calculate the nuclear density of Oxygen element.As I know the molar mass number is 15.9994 and the density is mass/volume how can I get the volume inorder to calculate the density?

Physics news on Phys.org
At standard conditions for temperature and pressure one mole of any gas occupies 22.4 dm^3.

Are you trying to calculate the atomic density of oxygen gas? If so, remember that oxygen is diatomic.

Think of Avogadro's/Loschmidt's number and the fact that a mole of any gas occupies 22.4 l at STP.

If however, one is trying to determine the density of the nucleus or the density of the atom itself, those are quite different. Also, atomic densities of solids, liquids and gases are temperature dependent.

Thanx very much all I have got u.

Astronuc, you called to the number of particles of one mole Avogadro's/Loschmidt's number. I just knew it by Avogadro's number and did a search in wikipedia. It says:

The numerical value was first estimated by Johann Josef Loschmidt in 1865 using the kinetic gas theory. In German-speaking countries, the number may still be referred to as Loschmidt's number.

So, do you know why is it generally called Avogadro's number if it was Loschmidt who estimated it?

kidia said:
Calculate the nuclear density of Oxygen element.As I know the molar mass number is 15.9994 and the density is mass/volume how can I get the volume inorder to calculate the density?
If you do mean density of the O NUCLEUS, it is a completely different thing.

PPonte said:
Astronuc, you called to the number of particles of one mole Avogadro's/Loschmidt's number. I just knew it by Avogadro's number and did a search in wikipedia. It says:

So, do you know why is it generally called Avogadro's number if it was Loschmidt who estimated it?
Well, I studied German in high school and unversity, and I worked on projects with German companies, so I learned that Avogadro's number is generally called Loschmidt's number or constant in Germany and parts of Europe, basically German-speaking countries. As to why, I am not sure.

See also - http://gemini.tntech.edu/~tfurtsch/scihist/avogadro.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Nuclear Density of Oxygen Element

1. What is the formula for calculating nuclear density of oxygen element?

The formula for calculating nuclear density of oxygen element is: nuclear density = (atomic mass of oxygen / Avogadro's number) / (volume of oxygen atom x number of nucleons in oxygen atom).

2. What is the atomic mass of oxygen?

The atomic mass of oxygen is 15.999 u, which is approximately 2.66 x 10^-26 kg.

3. What is Avogadro's number?

Avogadro's number is 6.022 x 10^23, which is the number of particles (atoms or molecules) in one mole of a substance.

4. How is the volume of an oxygen atom determined?

The volume of an oxygen atom is determined by dividing the molar volume of an element (22.4 L/mol) by the Avogadro's number. This gives a value of approximately 3.72 x 10^-30 m^3 for the volume of an oxygen atom.

5. What is the significance of calculating nuclear density of oxygen element?

Calculating nuclear density of oxygen element can provide valuable information about the structure and properties of oxygen atoms, and can also help in understanding nuclear reactions and processes involving oxygen. It is an important aspect of nuclear physics and chemistry research.