Calculating Nominal strain at which Necking Occurs

• Thread starter 50Cent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strain
In summary, the conversation discusses using the given data on two wires of different gauge lengths and their behavior under tension to calculate the nominal strain at which necking begins. The relevant equations and concepts relating to necking, stress/strain, and true stress/strain are also mentioned. The solution involves equating the ultimate tensile strength of the two wires, assuming they are made of the same material and have the same cross-section.
50Cent

Homework Statement

Given two wires of gauge length 100mm and 200mm
They are loaded to fracture in tension
The 100mm sample extends by 15mm
The 200mm sample extends by 25mm.

I need to use this information to calculate the nominal strain at which necking commences in the wires

Homework Equations

These are the relavent equations i can find in my notes relating to necking, stress/strain, true stress/strain
f42u0j.jpg

we are also told, the true stress/strain curve generally represented by,
fo1xmd.jpg

where n is the work-hardening exponent

"necking" in a sample started when the value of the true strain is equal to the work hardening exponent, i.e.,
2cxvrwm.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

Im not so sure where to start with this as there are no forces given or areas. I assume we have to use the two sets of data to equated these terms and cancel them out.

Physics news on Phys.org
50Cent said:
Im not so sure where to start with this as there are no forces given or areas. I assume we have to use the two sets of data to equated these terms and cancel them out.
Assuming that the wires are the same material and have the same cross-section, a starting point would be to realize that the ultimate tensile strength, which coincides with uniform elongation, when/where necking starts is the same between the wires.

https://www.admet.com/effect-specimen-geometry-tensile-testing-results/

Note: As the gauge length increases, the percent elongation decreases.

And, after fracture, one measures the resulting 'total' elongation.

Related to Calculating Nominal strain at which Necking Occurs

1. What is nominal strain?

Nominal strain is the deformation of a material per unit length, measured at a specified cross-sectional area, without taking into account the changes in the material's cross-sectional area.

2. How is nominal strain calculated?

Nominal strain is calculated by dividing the change in length of a material by its original length.

3. What is necking and how does it occur?

Necking is a localized reduction in the cross-sectional area of a material that occurs when the applied stress exceeds the material's ultimate tensile strength. This leads to a decrease in the material's ability to withstand further deformation and ultimately leads to failure.

4. How is the nominal strain at which necking occurs determined?

The nominal strain at which necking occurs can be determined by plotting the stress-strain curve for a material and identifying the point where the curve starts to decrease due to necking. This point corresponds to the maximum strain that the material can withstand before necking occurs.

5. What factors can affect the nominal strain at which necking occurs?

The nominal strain at which necking occurs can be affected by various factors such as the material's composition, microstructure, and processing methods. Other factors such as temperature, strain rate, and loading conditions can also influence the onset of necking in a material.