Calculating Neutron B's Energy in Neutron A's Rest Frame | Relativistic Energies

In summary: B=\tanh\thetaE_B=m\cosh\theta in the lab frame. (E_A=m\cosh(-\theta) in the lab frame.)E'_B=m\cosh (\theta +\theta) in the A-frame. (E'_A=m\cosh(-\theta+\theta)=m\cosh(0) in the A-frame.)Now write \cosh(2\theta) in terms of \theta, then in terms of \tanh\theta.In SR, the velocity is not additive, but the rapidity
Brewer

Homework Statement

Two neutrons A and B are approaching each other along a common straight line. Each has a constant velocity v as measured in the laboratory. Show that the total energy of neutron B as observed in the rest frame of neutron A is given by,

[tex](1+\frac{v^2}{c^2})(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{-1}m_pc^2[/tex]

Homework Equations

Either:
[tex]E=\gamma mc^2[/tex]

or

[tex]E^2 = m^2c^4 + p^2c^2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm completely stuck on this. I think that the best way to get to the required answer is via the first of the two equations that I wrote down. However I can't manipulate the fraction into what is required. I get close I think, but its never quite what is required. I think the closest I get is by doing the following:

[tex]E = \gamma mc^2 = \frac{mc^2}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^{\frac{1}{2}}} * \frac{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^2}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^2} = \frac{mc^2(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})^2}{(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})} = mc^2(1-\frac{v^2}{c^2})[/tex]

From here I'm almost tempted to say that the bracket on the top is the difference of two squares, which would give me 2 brackets with the correct signs, but the v/c part wouldn't have the correct power, and the second bracket wouldn't be raised to the correct power either.

Another thought I had is that the velocity of B from A's reference frame is 2v (although I'm not 100% convinced about this - it involved some odd hand waving on my part to get to this result!), but i assume that once I have the answer in the correct form I should be able to insert the correct value and the answer will fall out properly.

If you should decide to help me I would appreciate an early step to help me on the way - I'd quite like the challenge of getting to the result by myself as much as possible. Its just I feel I may have gone wrong somewhere, or that I'm using the incorrect equations.

Thanks for reading this - I hope you can follow my above working/train of thought!

Physics news on Phys.org
Brewer said:
Another thought I had is that the velocity of B from A's reference frame is 2v (although I'm not 100% convinced about this - it involved some odd hand waving on my part to get to this result!),

You are dealing with relativity. Therefore, you should abandon your Galilean ways of doing things. :wink:

But Galilean is so much easier!

Brewer said:
But Galilean is so much easier!
Try saying that to your teacher. :devil:

From that do you mean that the relativistic velocity is [tex]\frac{2v}{1+\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]?

Brewer said:
From that do you mean that the relativistic velocity is [tex]\frac{2v}{1+\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]?
Yup!

10char

Apart from that was I on the right lines?

Yes you were.

So its just a case of algebra - its looking messy so far, I don't seem to able to get things to cancel out just yet.

Thank you for your help.

With rapidities and some knowledge of hyperbolic trig identities, the method of solution becomes more obvious and the answer falls out nicely.

Here's a starting point:
[tex]v_B=\tanh\theta[/tex]

[tex]E_B=m\cosh\theta[/tex] in the lab frame. ([tex]E_A=m\cosh(-\theta)[/tex] in the lab frame.)
[tex]E'_B=m\cosh (\theta +\theta)[/tex] in the A-frame. ([tex]E'_A=m\cosh(-\theta+\theta)=m\cosh(0)[/tex] in the A-frame.)
Now write [tex]\cosh(2\theta)[/tex] in terms of [tex]\theta[/tex], then in terms of [tex]\tanh\theta[/tex].

In SR, the velocity is not additive, but the rapidity is additive.

Last edited:
Whats a rapidity? I can't seem to find anything on the web - I'm not likely to have used them before under a different name am I?

Anyway, I seem to be having a few problems with my derivation - could someone take a look for me please?

[tex]u^2 = (\frac{2v}{1+\frac{v^2}{c^2}})(\frac{2v}{1+\frac{v^2}{c^2}}) = \frac{4v^2}{1+ \frac{2v^2}{c^2} + {v^4}{c^4}}[/tex]

right?

Using this I can get to [tex]E = \frac{mc^2}{1-\frac{v^2}{c^2}}[/tex]

but I can't see where the [tex]1+\frac{v^2}{c^2}[/tex] comes from. Apart from that I think I'm there.

I realized that when I was doing it before I wasn't getting rid of the square root on the bottom of the fraction by multiplying top and bottom by the bracket squared. Instead this time I multiplied top and bottom by the denominator. Still doesn't explain that other mystery term - its just mystifying!

Thanks for the info of rapidities - I think its beyond the scope of my course thus far, but I will look into it for my own personal information.

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Neutron B's Energy in Neutron A's Rest Frame | Relativistic Energies

1. What is the formula for calculating the energy of a neutron in another neutron's rest frame?

The formula for calculating the energy of a neutron B in the rest frame of neutron A is E = γmBc², where γ is the Lorentz factor, mB is the rest mass of neutron B, and c is the speed of light in vacuum.

2. How do you determine the Lorentz factor in this equation?

The Lorentz factor, γ, is determined by the velocity of neutron B relative to neutron A. It can be calculated using the formula γ = 1/√(1-(v/c)²), where v is the velocity of neutron B and c is the speed of light in vacuum.

3. Can this formula be used for other particles besides neutrons?

Yes, this formula can be used for any particle with a rest mass, such as protons, electrons, or even larger particles like atoms or molecules.

4. What is the significance of calculating the energy of a neutron in another neutron's rest frame?

This calculation is important in understanding the effects of relativity on particle interactions. It allows us to accurately predict the energy and behavior of particles in different reference frames, which is crucial in fields such as particle physics and astrophysics.

5. Are there any practical applications of this calculation?

Yes, this calculation is used in various practical applications, such as in nuclear reactors and particle accelerators. It also has implications in space travel and understanding the behavior of particles in extreme environments, such as near the speed of light.