Calculating Neutrino Passage in a Supernova Explosion

In summary, the conversation is about a question involving a supernova explosion and a planet, and the question is whether the calculation done by the person was correct. There seems to be some confusion and miscommunication between the individuals in the conversation, and no one has provided a clear answer yet. The question remains open.
Khlaar
Ok, some of you guys will probably find this easy because I've only just started Physics to a very slightly higher level, but whatever. Basically the question is as follows (I'm just remembering this off the top of my head, won't use the proper figures, it's doing it that matters):

A supernova explodes, sending out 500 neutrinos in a spherical explosion. There is a planet 1000km away of radius 50km. How many neutrinos pass through the planet?

IIRC I did this by doing 4πr² on the 1000km, giving the "surface area" of the neutrino explosion. Then doing πr² on the planet's 50km you get it's area. Then divide the area of the planet by the surface area of the explosion, and multiplying that decimal by the number of neutrinos. Was this correct? (I suspect not..)

Physics news on Phys.org
Khlaar said:
Ok, some of you guys will probably find this easy because I've only just started Physics to a very slightly higher level, but whatever. Basically the question is as follows (I'm just remembering this off the top of my head, won't use the proper figures, it's doing it that matters):

A supernova explodes, sending out 500 neutrinos in a spherical explosion. There is a planet 1000km away of radius 50km. How many neutrinos pass through the planet?

IIRC I did this by doing 4πr² on the 1000km, giving the "surface area" of the neutrino explosion. Then doing πr² on the planet's 50km you get it's area. Then divide the area of the planet by the surface area of the explosion, and multiplying that decimal by the number of neutrinos. Was this correct? (I suspect not..)

Welcome to PF.

You are only interested in the cross sectional area of the planet as a percentage of the surface area of the sphere measured from the emission.

Ok, I'm pretty sure I did that - did I?

Khlaar said:
Ok, I'm pretty sure I did that - did I?

Only your hair dresser knows for sure that you meant cross-section and not surface area of the planet.

If you used πr² for that, then you should be ok.

LowlyPion said:
Only your hair dresser knows for sure that you meant cross-section and not surface area of the planet.

No... "Then doing πr² on the planet's 50km you get it's area." surface area would require a completely different formula

Khlaar said:
No... "Then doing πr² on the planet's 50km you get it's area." surface area would require a completely different formula

Neutrinos pass through like it's a shadow disk of area on the surface of the event sphere.

LowlyPion said:
Neutrinos pass through like it's a shadow disk of area on the surface of the event sphere.

There's been some miscommunication somewhere here

I initially asked whether I did the question correct, to which you answered something about proportions.

Then I asked whether I did do it, to which you replied something about a hairdryer..

Then I asked, for a third time, whether I did it, and now you're talking about neutrinos.

I appreciate your offer, but you're not helping at all.

Khlaar said:
I appreciate your offer, but you're not helping at all.

Fair enough. I'll just bow out then.

LowlyPion said:
Fair enough. I'll just bow out then.

There's no need to bow out, just you've made 4 posts so far and you've not helped whatsoever.

Can anyone help? Did I do it correct?

Related to Calculating Neutrino Passage in a Supernova Explosion

1. What is a spherical explosion?

A spherical explosion is a type of explosion that occurs in a spherical shape, expanding outward from a central point. It is commonly seen in chemical reactions, nuclear detonations, and other high-energy events.

2. How is a spherical explosion different from other types of explosions?

A spherical explosion differs from other types of explosions in its shape and symmetry. Unlike a directional explosion, which has a distinct point of origin, a spherical explosion expands equally in all directions from a central point.

3. What causes a spherical explosion?

A spherical explosion is caused by a sudden release of energy from a single point, usually due to a chemical reaction or nuclear reaction. This energy release causes the surrounding air or material to rapidly expand outward, creating a spherical shape.

4. Can a spherical explosion occur naturally?

Yes, a spherical explosion can occur naturally in certain phenomena such as supernovas, volcanic eruptions, and meteor impacts. However, most spherical explosions are the result of human-made events such as explosions in warfare or industrial accidents.

5. Are spherical explosions dangerous?

Yes, spherical explosions can be very dangerous due to the high amount of energy released and the potential for the explosion to create shockwaves and shrapnel. The extent of the danger depends on the size and type of explosion, as well as the distance from the explosion.