Calculating Net Work Done on a Man in a Wheelchair Climbing a Slope

In summary, the net work done when pushing a man in a wheelchair up a slope for 10 metres at a constant velocity is zero, as the force exerted by the person pushing is equal and opposite to the force of gravity, resulting in no change in mechanical energy.
Matriculant

Homework Statement

A man in a wheel chair is being pushed up a slope, for a distance of 10 metres. He is moving at a constant velocity. What is the net work done when he reaches the top of the slope?

Homework Equations

W = FX

The Attempt at a Solution

I just seem to have forgotten something basic.

The answer stated on the memo is that no work has been done, as

W = FX ( F = 0 due to constant velocity )

However, the thing that my mind can't seem to comprehend as of late, is that the total mechanical energy of the system has increased as the object has gained gravitational
potential energy.

Therefor, in my mind, the force that is being used to overcome the force of gravity is doing
work, as the body is gaining energy.

Essentially, I am at the moment believing that Mechanical Energy Final - Mechanical Energy Initial = Work Done

I'm quite lost. If I have misunderstood the concept of work, then I would gladly take a point to the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Matriculant! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Matriculant said:
A man in a wheel chair is being pushed up a slope, for a distance of 10 metres. He is moving at a constant velocity. What is the net work done when he reaches the top of the slope?

The answer stated on the memo is that no work has been done, as

W = FX ( F = 0 due to constant velocity )

However, the thing that my mind can't seem to comprehend as of late, is that the total mechanical energy of the system has increased as the object has gained gravitational
potential energy.

Therefor, in my mind, the force that is being used to overcome the force of gravity is doing
work, as the body is gaining energy.

This is a trick question …

you think you're being asked what work is being done by the person pushing,

but actually it's asking for the net work done, ie the work done by all the forces …

gravity is one of those forces, so the answer is zero :wink:

(the question doesn't ask you to apply the work energy theorem … it it did, you would have to say that potential energy is defined as minus work done by a conservative force, and therefore can go either on the work side of the equation, or on the energy side … but not both!)

Related to Calculating Net Work Done on a Man in a Wheelchair Climbing a Slope

1. How do you calculate the net work done on a man in a wheelchair climbing a slope?

To calculate the net work done on a man in a wheelchair climbing a slope, you need to first determine the force applied by the man in the direction of motion. This can be done by multiplying the mass of the man by the acceleration due to gravity. Then, you need to determine the distance traveled by the man up the slope. Finally, you can calculate the net work done by multiplying the force by the distance.

2. What is the formula for calculating net work?

The formula for calculating net work is net work = force x distance, where force is measured in Newtons (N) and distance is measured in meters (m).

3. Can you calculate the net work done on a man in a wheelchair without knowing the angle of the slope?

Yes, you can calculate the net work done on a man in a wheelchair without knowing the angle of the slope. This is because the angle of the slope does not affect the force or distance component of the net work formula.

4. How does the weight of the man in the wheelchair affect the net work done?

The weight of the man in the wheelchair affects the net work done because it is a factor in determining the force applied by the man. The greater the weight of the man, the greater the force and therefore, the greater the net work done.

5. Why is it important to calculate the net work done on a man in a wheelchair climbing a slope?

Calculating the net work done on a man in a wheelchair climbing a slope is important because it helps us understand the amount of energy required to overcome the force of gravity and move up the slope. This information can be useful in designing assistive devices and improving accessibility for individuals with mobility impairments.