Calculating Net Power for a Heat Pump Cycle

In summary, the net power required to operate the heat pump is 8 kW, and the cost of electricity for a month of 200 hours of operation is $128.
eku_girl83
Here's my problem:
A heat pump cycle whose coefficient of performance is 2.5 delivers energy by heat transfer to a dwelling at a rate of 20 kW.
a) Determine the net power required to operate the heat pump, in kW.
b) Evaluating electricity at 8 cents per kWh, determine the cost of electricity in a month when the heat pump operates for 200 hours.

I know that the coefficient of performance = Qout/Wcycle = Qout/(Qout-Qin).
But what is meant by net power? And more importantly, how do I calculate it?

Thanks for help in advance,
eku_girl83

Physics news on Phys.org
Power to operate the heat pump is Qin.

Here's my problem:
A heat pump cycle whose coefficient of performance is 2.5 delivers energy by heat transfer to a dwelling at a rate of 20 kW.

a) Determine the net power required to operate the heat pump, in kW.
20 kw/2.5 = electrical power input = 8 kw This must be the "net power."
That is about typical for a freon based heat pump. I got one.

b) Evaluating electricity at 8 cents per kWh, determine the cost of electricity in a month when the heat pump operates for 200 hours.
8 kw x 200 hr = 1600 kwh. 1600 kwh x .08 $/kwh = $128.00
Looks like a typical bill to me. But natural gas is cheaper.

I know that the coefficient of performance = Qout/Wcycle = Qout/(Qout-Qin).
But what is meant by net power? And more importantly, how do I calculate it?

Related to Calculating Net Power for a Heat Pump Cycle

What is net power for a heat pump cycle?

Net power for a heat pump cycle is the amount of energy that is produced by the heat pump, minus the amount of energy that is consumed by the heat pump. It is a measure of the efficiency of the heat pump in converting energy into usable heat.

How is net power calculated?

Net power is calculated by subtracting the energy input to the heat pump from the energy output of the heat pump. The energy input is typically measured in watts or kilowatts, and the energy output is typically measured in British thermal units (BTUs) or joules.

What factors affect the net power of a heat pump cycle?

The net power of a heat pump cycle can be affected by several factors, including the efficiency of the heat pump, the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink, and the type of refrigerant used in the heat pump.

How can the net power of a heat pump cycle be improved?

The net power of a heat pump cycle can be improved by increasing the efficiency of the heat pump through regular maintenance and proper sizing, minimizing the temperature difference between the heat source and the heat sink, and using a more efficient refrigerant.

Why is calculating net power important for heat pumps?

Calculating net power is important for heat pumps because it allows us to understand the efficiency of the heat pump and identify areas for improvement. It also helps in determining the operating costs and environmental impact of using a heat pump for heating or cooling purposes.