Calculating Net Force for Motor and Driver Acceleration

In summary: However, it seems strange that the net force would be negative when the motorcycle is accelerating. I think I translated it wrong. These are in Spanish sorry.
SpiralStars
A motor and driver have a total mass of 300 kg . The driver starts moving from rest reaching an acceleration of 5 m / s2. The net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle is

I'm not sure if i did this right cause they give 60 Newtons as one of the answers. I applied Newton's second law and got 1500 Newtons. But the ''net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle'' keeps throwing me off.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this the full problem statement? In particular, is there a motor mass given or something else? If not, the answer looks strange.

mfb said:
Is this the full problem statement? In particular, is there a motor mass given or something else? If not, the answer looks strange.
I think I translated it wrong. These are in Spanish sorry.

''A driver and his motorcycle have a total mass of 300 kg . The driver starts moving from rest reaching an acceleration of 5 m / s2. The net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle is? ''

A.1500 N
B. -1500 N
c -60 N
D. 60 N

Then 60 does not make sense.
It is a typical wrong answer in a multiple choice question, as you can get this number if you combine the two given numbers in the wrong way (300/5), but it is certainly not the right answer.
Maybe some mistake in the solution keys.

SpiralStars said:
A motor and driver have a total mass of 300 kg . The driver starts moving from rest reaching an acceleration of 5 m / s2. The net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle is

I'm not sure if i did this right cause they give 60 Newtons as one of the answers. I applied Newton's second law and got 1500 Newtons. But the ''net force experienced by the motor of the motorcycle'' keeps throwing me off.
I vote for your answer. What's wrong picking "A"?

Action: To maintain this acceleration, the propelling force delivered to the bike + rider is 1500N. Reaction: The driving tyre sees this load component as -1500N.

Perhaps that is the intended answer (B)?

Related to Calculating Net Force for Motor and Driver Acceleration

1. What is motor and driver net force?

Motor and driver net force is the combined force generated by both the motor and the driver in a mechanical system. It is the force that is responsible for moving the system, such as a vehicle or a machine.

2. How is motor and driver net force calculated?

The motor and driver net force is calculated by adding the individual forces generated by the motor and the driver in the same direction. If the forces are acting in opposite directions, then the net force is the difference between the two forces.

3. What factors affect motor and driver net force?

There are several factors that can affect motor and driver net force, including the torque and speed of the motor, the power output of the driver, the weight of the system, and the efficiency of the mechanical components.

4. How does motor and driver net force affect the performance of a system?

The motor and driver net force is directly related to the acceleration and speed of a system. A higher net force will result in faster acceleration and higher speeds, while a lower net force will result in slower acceleration and lower speeds.

5. Can motor and driver net force be adjusted?

Yes, motor and driver net force can be adjusted by changing the torque and speed of the motor, the power output of the driver, or by using different mechanical components with varying levels of efficiency. These adjustments can help optimize the performance of a system for different applications.