Calculating Net Force & Acceleration: Addition of Forces Explained

In summary: The magnitude of the acceleration is proportional to the difference between the two forces, and inversely proportional to the mass. This is expressed mathematically as ##F_{net} = m.a##, or ##\sum F = ma##.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
A horizontal force of 150N is applied on a 20kg box which causes it to move to the right. What is the acceleration if the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.25?
Relevant Equations
##\sum F_{X} = F - F_k##, ##ma = F - \mu_{k}.F_k##

##\sum F_{X} = F - F_k##

(The net force, ##\sum F_{X}## is always equal to m.a)

##ma = F - \mu_{k}.F_n##

##ma = F - \mu_{k}.(mg)## [Here ##F_n = mg## when body is on flat surface]

##20(a) = 150 - 0.25(20)(10)##

##\large a = \frac {150 - 0.25(20)(10)}{20}##

##\large a = 5\frac{m}{sec^2}##

How ##\sum F_{X} = m.a## ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is there a question?

PeroK said:
Is there a question?

My question: How ##\sum F_{X} = m.a##?

Someone edited my title of the post.

Benjamin_harsh said:
My question: How ##\sum F_{X} = m.a##?

Someone edited my title of the post.

How not?

PeroK said:
How not?

I know ##F = M.A##. I never heard ##\sum F_{X} = m.a##.
Please explain.

Benjamin_harsh said:
Please explain.

You did all this in your OP. You can look at Newton's second law two ways.

If you assume that ##F## is the only force on an object, then you have simply ##F = ma##.

But, if an object has more than one force on it (in your example there are 4 forces on the object), then the acceleration is related to the sum of the forces:

##\sum F = ma##

Sometimes, to emphasise this, we talk about the net force:

##F_{net} = \sum F = ma##

Benjamin_harsh said:
Please explain.
In the first formula above, F represents the net force acting on an object, which is either the force if there is only a single force, or the sum of forces, if there are more than one force.

In your drawing, the net vertical force is zero; the upward normal force is balanced by the gravitational force. These two forces are equal in magnitude, but opposite in sign, so the block doesn't fly up or sink into the surface. In the horizontal direction, if the force acting to the right is larger in magnitude than the friction force (which acts toward the left), the horizontal forces aren't balanced, and the block will accelerate to the right.

Likes PeroK

Related to Calculating Net Force & Acceleration: Addition of Forces Explained

1. What is net force?

Net force is the overall force acting on an object, taking into account both magnitude and direction. It is calculated by summing up all the individual forces acting on the object.

2. How do you calculate net force?

To calculate net force, you need to add up all the individual forces acting on an object. This can be done by using vector addition, where you represent each force as a vector with magnitude and direction. The resulting vector will represent the net force acting on the object.

3. How does net force affect acceleration?

According to Newton's second law of motion, the net force acting on an object is directly proportional to its acceleration. This means that the greater the net force, the greater the acceleration of the object will be.

4. Can net force be negative?

Yes, net force can be negative. This simply means that the individual forces acting on an object are in opposite directions, resulting in a net force with a negative direction. The magnitude of the net force will still be calculated by adding up all the forces.

5. How is net force related to an object's motion?

Net force is directly related to an object's motion through Newton's second law of motion. The net force acting on an object will cause it to accelerate in the direction of the net force. If there is no net force acting on an object, it will either remain at rest or continue moving at a constant velocity.