Calculating Net External Force for a Cheetah's Acceleration

• Thread starter bigtymer8700
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the net external force causing a cheetah to accelerate from rest to 45.0mph in 2.00 seconds. The equations used are F=MA and Vf=Vi + (a)t, with the solution involving finding the acceleration and then multiplying it by the mass of the cheetah. The final answer is 68.3N, but there was confusion due to a rounding error and a glitch in the computer system.
bigtymer8700

Homework Statement

An adult 68.0kg cheetah can accelerate from rest to 20.1 (45.0mph ) in 2.00 s.

Homework Equations

F=MA
Vf=Vi + (a)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming constant acceleration, find the net external force causing this acceleration

i solved for the time using Vf=Vi + (a)t. i got acc=10.05

when i tried plugging in the 10.05 for the acceleration and times the mass it gave me 684N. Its coming up wrong and I don't know where I am messing up on

Physics news on Phys.org
When I multiply 68 by 10.05 I get 683.4. I would guess its just a rounding error.

Are you sure its 684. you are messing up with the calculations, i suppose.

yea actually did it would let you know if you where close but it says nothing about a rounding error

actually no the computer was wrong thanks for the help though it was a glitch in the computer it has 2.01m/s as 45mph so it takes the right answer to be 68.3N. Man that is why I really hate online hw. but thanks anyway

Related to Calculating Net External Force for a Cheetah's Acceleration

1. What is meant by "stuck on finding force"?

"Stuck on finding force" refers to a situation where an individual is having difficulty determining the amount or direction of force acting on an object in a given scenario.

2. Why is understanding force important in science?

Understanding force is important in science because it is a fundamental concept that helps explain the motion and behavior of objects in the physical world. It also allows scientists to make predictions and calculations about the interactions between objects.

3. What are some common methods for finding force?

Some common methods for finding force include using Newton's Laws of Motion, applying the principles of vector addition, and using equations such as F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration).

4. How can one overcome being stuck on finding force?

One way to overcome being stuck on finding force is to break down the problem into smaller, manageable parts and use known equations and principles to solve each part. It can also be helpful to draw diagrams or use visual aids to better understand the forces at play.

5. Are there any real-world applications for understanding force?

Yes, understanding force has many real-world applications, such as designing structures and machines, predicting and preventing accidents, and studying the motion of celestial bodies in space. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics.