Calculating Net Electric Field Strength at Point A

In summary, the student is asking about finding the net electric field strength at point A due to two charges and is questioning the given answer, which seems to be incorrect based on their understanding of similar problems.
Coco12

Homework Statement

Find the net electric field strength at point A due to the combined electric fields of both charges.

Homework Equations

E=kq/d^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I know how to solve these type of problems however I'm just wondering how come in the net force line as you can see on my paper, they didn't use a -3.7*10^7 since it is going in the left direction.

The answer that was given was : 3.7*10^7+ 7.71*10^6 = 4.5*10^7 N/C

When I did electrostatic forces before that had charges in a line, you had to use negative when finding net force for charges that went to the left..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your line of thought :smile:. The magnitude of the net E field should be|-3.7*10^7+ 7.71*10^6|. The magnitudes of the individual fields should be subtracted because the individual electric field vectors point in opposite directions at point A.

[EDIT: To avoid giving people stiff necks, it would be nice to post your images so they are upright. :wink:]

Last edited:
TSny said:
I agree with your line of thought :smile:. The magnitude of the net E field should be|-3.7*10^7+ 7.71*10^6|. The magnitudes of the individual fields should be subtracted because the individual electric field vectors point in opposite directions at point A.

[EDIT: To avoid giving people stiff necks, it would be nice to post your images so they are upright. :wink:]

So you are saying that the answer that was given was wrong?

Yes. If one charge is positive, the other charge is negative, and the point A is located as shown in your diagram, then the given solution is wrong.

As a scientist, it is important to understand the concept of vector addition when calculating net electric field strength. In this case, the direction of the electric field is taken into account when adding the individual electric fields of the two charges. Since the electric field due to the 3.7*10^7 charge is pointing to the left, it is considered a negative value. However, the electric field due to the 7.71*10^6 charge is pointing to the right, which is considered a positive value. When adding these two vectors, the negative value and the positive value cancel each other out, resulting in a net electric field strength of 4.5*10^7 N/C directed to the right at point A. It is important to remember that when adding vectors, the direction and magnitude must both be taken into account.

Related to Calculating Net Electric Field Strength at Point A

1. What is the formula for calculating net electric field strength at Point A?

The formula for calculating net electric field strength at Point A is Enet = E1 + E2 + E3 + ... + En, where E1, E2, E3, ... En are the individual electric field strengths at Point A due to different sources.

2. How do I determine the direction of the net electric field at Point A?

The direction of the net electric field at Point A is determined by the vector sum of the individual electric field vectors. The net electric field will point in the direction of the resultant vector.

3. Can the net electric field at Point A be zero?

Yes, the net electric field at Point A can be zero if the individual electric field vectors cancel out each other. This can happen if the sources have equal magnitude but opposite direction.

4. How does the distance between the source and Point A affect the net electric field strength?

The net electric field strength at Point A is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the source and Point A. This means that as the distance increases, the net electric field strength decreases.

5. What is the unit of measurement for net electric field strength?

The unit of measurement for net electric field strength is newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m).