Calculating Net Electric Field for a Charged Arc

In summary, the student attempted to solve a homework problem involving the calculation of electric fields at the center of curvature of an arc, but was incorrect.
Jrlinton

Homework Statement

Phy 204 b.PNG

Homework Equations

L=pi*r/2
λ=q/L
Enet=∑λ(2sinθ)*k

The Attempt at a Solution

So first to calculate L for each arc
L1=pi(.107m)/2
L2=pi(.214m)/2
L3=pi(.321m)/2
and lambda:
λ1=3.3E-6/L1=2E-5
λ2=-12E-6/L2=-3.9E-5
λ3=29.7E-6/L3=5.9E-5
So using θ=pi/2 and rearranging the equation found above with the distributive property i come up with:
k(2sin(π/2)*(2E-5-3.9E-5+5.9E-5)
=508551 N/C
This was incorrect and I am unsure of my mistake(s)

Physics news on Phys.org
Jrlinton said:
Enet=∑λ(2sinθ)*k
This equation is incorrect. You can see that it doesn't have the correct dimensions for an electric field.
(When you use the correct formula, you will see that the electric fields from each arc have an interesting relation.)

Jrlinton said:

Homework Equations

L=pi*r/2
λ=q/L
Enet=∑λ(2sinθ)*k

I agree with TSny that the last equation is incorrect. I wonder if you were ever given an equation describing the electric field at the center of curvature of an arc. That seems too random. Do you think that perhaps you are supposed to integrate to get the net field of each arc? Has your class been doing similar integral problems?

We haven't done much integral problems besides calculating the number of excess electrons in a rod and things of that sort. I guess I am just without a formula for the net field and the center of an arc.

I suppose if i were to integrate it I could do so by setting the limits of integration so that the difference is θ but then I am unsure of what to include in the integration. As they are my only known information i have to assume that the radius, linear charge density and constant k is included. And then I would just add the integrations for each arc to find the net field.

Hint: Concentrate on finding the field at the radius center of a quarter circle arc. Redraw it to take best advantage of symmetry:
upload_2017-1-31_12-54-1.png

You can use angular charge density for the arc since it's natural to integrate over the enclosed angle.

So:
kλ/r∫cos(θ)dθ with the limits of integration being 0 to π/2 to get the x component of the field that it is asking for and to get the y component it would be identical but with the integration being ∫sin(θ)dθ?

Use symmetry! You should be able to see that one of the components is perfectly canceled by symmetrically placed charge elements (if you orient the arc as I depicted).

Right, so the vertical component is absent...

Jrlinton said:
Right, so the vertical component is absent...
Yes, for the shown orientation of the arc. You should be able to express the charge density in angular terms knowing the total angle enclosed by the arc and the total charge.

Related to Calculating Net Electric Field for a Charged Arc

1. What is net electric field calculation?

The net electric field calculation is a process used to determine the overall strength and direction of the electric field at a given point. It takes into account the contributions of all nearby electric charges and their respective distances from the point of interest.

2. How is net electric field calculated?

The net electric field is calculated using the principle of superposition, which states that the total electric field at a point is equal to the vector sum of all individual electric fields at that point. This involves considering the magnitude and direction of each electric field and combining them using vector addition.

3. What units are used for net electric field?

The units for net electric field are newtons per coulomb (N/C) or volts per meter (V/m). These units represent the strength of the electric field at a given point and are derived from the fundamental units of force and electric charge.

4. How does distance affect the net electric field?

The net electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the source charge. This means that as the distance increases, the strength of the electric field decreases. Therefore, the closer a charge is to the point of interest, the greater its contribution to the net electric field.

5. Why is net electric field calculation important?

Net electric field calculation is important in understanding and predicting the behavior of electric charges. It is used in various fields such as electrical engineering, physics, and chemistry to design and analyze electric circuits, devices, and systems. It also helps in understanding the interactions between charged particles and their surroundings.