Calculating Net Charge in a Parallelepiped at Inclined Faces

• Thread starter Ozmahn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Charge
In summary: I'm not sure what you're asking. If you want to know the answer to this question, you need to be a mathematician.In summary, the electric field has an angle of 30 degrees with the normal to the surface, and the cosine of that angle is -6.24*10^-10 C.
Ozmahn

Homework Statement

The electric field ##\vec E_1 ## one face of a parallelepiped is uniform over the entire face and is directed out of the face. At the opposite face, the electric field ##\vec E_2 ## is also uniform over the entire face and is directed into that face. The two faces in question are inclined at 30.0° from the horizontal, while ##\vec E_1 ## and ##\vec E_2 ## are both horizontal; ##\vec E_1 ## has a magnitude of ##2.40*10^4 N/C## , and ##\vec E_2 ## has a magnitude of ##7.10*10^4 N/C##.

Assuming that no other electric field lines cross the surfaces of the parallelepiped, determine the net charge contained within.

YF-22-35.jpg

Homework Equations

##\oint \vec E \cdot d \vec A = {\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}}##
## A = lw ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##EA = {\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}}##
##Q = EA\epsilon_0##
## 2.4*10^4 - 7.1*10^4 = -4.7*10^4##
##Q = (-4.7*10^4)(6*10^{-2})(5*10^{-2})(sin(30°))(8.85*10^{-12})##
##Q = -6.24*10^{-10} C ##I already figured out the solution, but the only issue I have is the with the angle. I was convinced that I need to use cosine but after I got the answer wrong, I was told that I need to be using the sine function. I thought that since the E fields are moving in the horizontal direction, I would need to use cosine. What is the reason for using sine in this situation? Much appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ozmahn said:

Homework Statement

The electric field ##\vec E_1 ## one face of a parallelepiped is uniform over the entire face and is directed out of the face. At the opposite face, the electric field ##\vec E_2 ## is also uniform over the entire face and is directed into that face. The two faces in question are inclined at 30.0° from the horizontal, while ##\vec E_1 ## and ##\vec E_2 ## are both horizontal; ##\vec E_1 ## has a magnitude of ##2.40*10^4 N/C## , and ##\vec E_2 ## has a magnitude of ##7.10*10^4 N/C##.

Assuming that no other electric field lines cross the surfaces of the parallelepiped, determine the net charge contained within.

YF-22-35.jpg

Homework Equations

## A = lw ##

The Attempt at a Solution

##EA = {\frac{Q}{\epsilon_0}}##
##Q = EA\epsilon_0##
## 2.4*10^4 - 7.1*10^4 = -4.7*10^4##
##Q = (-4.7*10^4)(6*10^{-2})(5*10^{-2})(sin(30°))(8.85*10^{-12})##
##Q = -6.24*10^{-10} C ##I already figured out the solution, but the only issue I have is the with the angle. I was convinced that I need to use cosine but after I got the answer wrong, I was told that I need to be using the sine function. I thought that since the E fields are moving in the horizontal direction, I would need to use cosine. What is the reason for using sine in this situation? Much appreciated!
What is the angle made by the electric field and the normal to the surface?

The dot product of two vectors involves the cosine of the angle between the two vectors. So when considering ##\vec{E_1}\cdot\vec{dA}##, you need to find the angle between ##\vec{E_1}## and ##\vec{dA}##.

Okay this is my interpretation...the angle made between ## \vec {E_1} ## and ## \vec {dA} ## is 30°, as given by the problem. Now that I made this picture, I think I can see it. But just to make sure, sin(30) here is ##{\frac{E_{1y}}{E_{1x}}}##

So from there, I shouldn't have to take into account the angle formed by ##\vec {E_2}## and ##\vec {dA}## because I already found the net charge and it's going through the front...does that make sense or is there another reason not to include that angle?

Attachments

• Gauss Parallelepiped problem side.png
    Gauss Parallelepiped problem side.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,099

Attachments

• Area vector.png
    Area vector.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 1,003
Last edited:
The area vector is the vector that is perpendicular to the area, so the green vector is ##\vec {dA}##

The rest of the equation makes sense, I think. I'm just having trouble putting together the electric field portion.
A is the area of the face
##\epsilon_0## is constant
E should be net field times angle
My textbook is basically saying the same thing as the link you sent, but I'm trying to see why cosine is used in the text and sine is needed here. Sine is opposite over hypotenuse, so in the example with the parallelepiped wouldn't that just be ##{\frac{\vec {E_{1y}}}{\vec {dA}}}##? Why wouldn't I want to use adjacent over hypotenuse (cosine), which would be ##{\frac{\vec {E_{1}}}{\vec {dA}}}##?

Edit: I added an image of what I'm talking about in case I'm violating ten different rules of trigonometry and geometry

Attachments

• Gauss Parallelepiped problem side.png
    Gauss Parallelepiped problem side.png
    1.9 KB · Views: 1,075
Last edited:
What is the angle in degrees between the E vector and the A vector? How does the cosine of that angle compare to the sine of 30o?

Likes Ozmahn
Ohh that angle is 60°, and cos(60)=sin(30). I just need to make sure I'm using the correct angle...thanks for pointing that out!

Related to Calculating Net Charge in a Parallelepiped at Inclined Faces

1. What is a parallelepiped?

A parallelepiped is a three-dimensional geometric figure that has six faces, each of which is a parallelogram. It is similar to a rectangular prism, but its faces are not necessarily rectangles.

2. How is the charge inside a parallelepiped calculated?

The charge inside a parallelepiped is calculated by finding the total amount of charge within the boundaries of the figure. This can be done by adding up the charges of individual particles or by using the Gauss's Law to calculate the electric flux through the surface of the parallelepiped.

3. What factors affect the charge inside a parallelepiped?

The charge inside a parallelepiped is affected by the amount and distribution of charge within and around the figure, as well as the presence of any external electric fields. It can also be affected by the shape and size of the parallelepiped itself.

4. What is the significance of the charge inside a parallelepiped?

The charge inside a parallelepiped is important in understanding the behavior of electric fields and the interactions between charged particles. It can also be used to calculate the potential and electric field at any point within the figure.

5. How does the charge inside a parallelepiped relate to Coulomb's Law?

The charge inside a parallelepiped can be used to calculate the electric force between two charged particles within the figure using Coulomb's Law. It can also be used to calculate the electric field and potential at any point within the figure, which are related to the force through the equation F = qE.