Calculating Muon Velocity with Lorentz Transformation | Physics Homework

In summary, the question is about muons with a half-life of 2 x 10-6 s that are formed in the Earth's atmosphere at an altitude of 10 km. If they travel normally to the Earth's surface, with half of them decaying before reaching it, what is their velocity? The problem can be solved using the Lorentz Transformation and finding the time elapsed in the Earth's reference frame, which can then be compared to the given velocity to determine its value. However, the only known information is the distance of 10 km traveled by the muons, making it difficult to solve for the velocity without more information.
kd001

Homework Statement

Muons, which have a half-life of 2 x 10-6 s, are formed in the Earth's atmosphere at an
altitude of 10 km. If they travel normal to the Earth's surface, and one half of them
reach it before they decay, what is their velocity?

Homework Equations

Lorentz Transormation.

The Attempt at a Solution

My understanding of the question is that in the reference frame of the the muons 2 x 10-6 s elapses before they reach the surface of the Earth. So t' is 2 x 10-6 s. So I need to find out the time that elapses in the Earth's reference frame in order to calculate the relative velocity. However, the only other information I've got is x=10km (taking x to be the direction of the velocity of the muons). Aren't there too many unknowns?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi kd001! :smile:
kd001 said:
My understanding of the question is that in the reference frame of the the muons 2 x 10-6 s elapses before they reach the surface of the Earth. So t' is 2 x 10-6 s. So I need to find out the time that elapses in the Earth's reference frame in order to calculate the relative velocity. However, the only other information I've got is x=10km (taking x to be the direction of the velocity of the muons). Aren't there too many unknowns?

Call the velocity v.

Find the time t (in the Earth frame), and then see if t/t' agrees with that velocity. :wink:

I don't see how t can be calculated without knowing v in the first place.

kd001 said:
I don't see how t can be calculated without knowing v in the first place.

Find t as a function of v …

what do you get? :smile:

I would first clarify any uncertainties about the given information and the question. For example, I would confirm whether the given half-life of muons is for their rest frame or for the Earth's frame. I would also clarify if the muons are traveling at a constant speed or if they are accelerating. Additionally, I would ask for any other relevant information, such as the distance traveled by the muons, to ensure an accurate calculation.

Assuming the given information is correct, we can use the Lorentz transformation to calculate the velocity of the muons. However, as you have pointed out, there are not enough known variables to directly calculate the velocity. We need to first find the time elapsed in the Earth's frame, which is the time dilation factor, in order to calculate the relative velocity.

To find the time dilation factor, we can use the equation t' = γt, where t' is the time elapsed in the Earth's frame, t is the time elapsed in the muon's frame (given as 2 x 10-6 s), and γ is the Lorentz factor. We can rearrange this equation to find γ = t'/t.

Next, we can use the Lorentz transformation equation for velocity, v = (v'+u)/(1+uv'/c^2), where v is the velocity of the muons in the Earth's frame, v' is the velocity of the muons in their own frame (which we want to find), u is the velocity of the Earth's frame (which we assume to be zero since the muons are traveling normal to the Earth's surface), and c is the speed of light.

Substituting the known values, we get v = (v' + 0)/(1+0v'/c^2). Simplifying, we get v = v', which means the velocity of the muons in their own frame is equal to the velocity of the muons in the Earth's frame. This makes sense since the muons are traveling at a constant speed and there is no acceleration.

Therefore, the velocity of the muons is 10 km/2 x 10-6 s = 5 x 10^9 m/s or approximately 0.99c (c = speed of light). This is a very high velocity, which is expected for particles with a short half-life.

In conclusion, by using the Lorentz transformation

Related to Calculating Muon Velocity with Lorentz Transformation | Physics Homework

What is the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is a mathematical equation that describes how space and time coordinates of an event change when viewed from different reference frames that are moving at a constant velocity relative to each other. It is a fundamental principle of special relativity.

Why is the Lorentz Transformation important?

The Lorentz Transformation is important because it helps us understand how the laws of physics, particularly the laws of electromagnetism, are the same for all observers moving at a constant velocity. It also helps explain phenomena such as time dilation and length contraction.

What is the difference between Galilean Transformation and Lorentz Transformation?

The Galilean Transformation is a simpler mathematical equation that describes the relationships between space and time coordinates in different reference frames, but it only applies to objects moving at non-relativistic speeds. The Lorentz Transformation, on the other hand, applies to all speeds and is more accurate in describing the effects of relativity.

How are the Lorentz Transformation equations derived?

The Lorentz Transformation equations were first derived by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century in an attempt to explain the results of the Michelson-Morley experiment, which showed that the speed of light is constant in all reference frames. Albert Einstein later used these equations as a basis for his theory of special relativity.

What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz Transformation?

The Lorentz Transformation is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It helps us understand the behavior of particles moving at high speeds, such as in particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in the GPS navigation system, which relies on the precise measurement of time and the effects of relativity to function accurately.