Calculating Muon Speed Using Lorentz Transformations | Relativity Help

• Thread starter vsage
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativity
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of a muon's speed based on its average lifetime and distance traveled. The participants consider using the Lorentz Transformations and the time and distance intervals between the birth and death of the muon to solve for the speed. They also discuss the importance of using the full LT and not taking shortcuts. Finally, they realize that the distance measured in the muon's own frame of reference is 0, leading to the correct solution.
vsage
A muon is an unstable elementary particle with an average lifetime of 2.20×10-6 seconds (from the moment of creation until it decays) as measured by an observer at rest with the muon. If an average muon travels a distance of 900 meters during one lifetime, according to an observer in the laboratory, what is the muon's speed (in m/s)?

I have the Lorentz Transformations sitting right in front of me but I can't seem to make the logical jump again. If O is the observer's frame and O' is the muon's frame of reference I have the following data:

x = ?
t = 2.2*10^6s
x' = 900m
t' = ?

I really don't remember where to go from here. I tried taking the ratio of x to t and x' to t' the Lorentz transformations but it didn't yield anything relevant. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I tried using the fact that t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex]t and x' = x/[tex]\gamma[/tex] and v = x/t to yield v = x'[tex]\gamma[/tex]/t but the answer came out imaginary. What am I doing so wrong?

Think in terms of the time and distance intervals between the birth and death of the muon. Here's what you are given:
[tex]\Delta t = ?[/tex]
[tex]\Delta x = 900[/tex]m
[tex]\Delta t' = 2.2*10^6[/tex]s
big hint:
[tex]\Delta x' = 0[/tex]

Now use the LT to find [itex]\Delta t[/itex], at least in terms of v. Then realize that [itex]\Delta x/\Delta t = v[/itex]. Solve for v.

vsage said:
I tried using the fact that t' = [tex]\gamma[/tex]t and x' = x/[tex]\gamma[/tex] and v = x/t to yield v = x'[tex]\gamma[/tex]/t but the answer came out imaginary. What am I doing so wrong?
Careful of those "facts". While it's true in this case that [itex]\Delta t = \gamma \Delta t'[/itex], [itex]\Delta x \ne \Delta x' / \gamma[/itex]. Use the full LT; don't take shortcuts (until you have more experience and know when to use them).

Well I got the right answer with your advice (thanks btw) but I don't understand why [tex]\Delta[/tex]x' = 0 still. It should be obvious but I apparently forgot all of relativity.

Last edited by a moderator:
vsage said:
Well I got the right answer with your advice (thanks btw) but I don't understand why [tex]\Delta[/tex]x' = 0 still. Does that mean it was observed to have barely moved in the time interval or what?
Remember that the primed coordinates are observations made in the "moving" frame attached to the muon. How far does the muon move in its own frame? :wink:

Argh I see now. I completely switched the perspectives. For some reason I thought the decay time was measured from an observer standing on Earth or something. Thank you!

Related to Calculating Muon Speed Using Lorentz Transformations | Relativity Help

1. How do Lorentz transformations relate to calculating muon speed?

Lorentz transformations are a set of equations developed by physicist Hendrik Lorentz to describe the relationship between space and time in Einstein's theory of relativity. These equations are used to calculate the speed of particles, such as muons, moving at high velocities.

2. What is the significance of calculating muon speed using Lorentz transformations?

Calculating muon speed using Lorentz transformations allows us to better understand the effects of relativity on particles moving at high speeds. It also helps us validate the principles of Einstein's theory of relativity and provides valuable insights into the behavior of particles in the universe.

3. How do you use Lorentz transformations to calculate muon speed?

To calculate muon speed using Lorentz transformations, we need to know the distance and time measurements in two different reference frames. We then plug these values into the appropriate equations, which take into account factors such as the speed of light and the relative motion between the two frames.

4. What are the limitations of using Lorentz transformations to calculate muon speed?

While Lorentz transformations are an accurate and widely used method for calculating muon speed, they are based on certain assumptions and idealized conditions. In reality, factors such as gravitational fields and interactions with other particles may affect the speed of muons, making the calculations less precise.

5. How does calculating muon speed using Lorentz transformations contribute to scientific research?

Studying the properties and behaviors of muons, including their speed, is crucial for many areas of scientific research, such as particle physics, astrophysics, and cosmology. By using Lorentz transformations to calculate muon speed, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the fundamental laws of the universe and make important discoveries about the nature of matter and energy.