In summary, two conducting loops placed in a uniform magnetic field will experience induced EMFs and resulting currents when the magnetic field is changed. The calculated electric fields at the shared point are different due to an incorrect application of Faraday's Law. The correct equation for the electric field is E=ϵ2πr, where the magnitude increases with the loop's radius. This may seem counterintuitive, but the curl of E remains spatially uniform.
Kerrigoth
Let's say I place two different size conducting loops inside of a uniform magnetic field. For the sake of the diagram I have the loops share a point, but just treat them as though they are not touching.
Then I decrease the value of the magnetic field very quickly.
[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = \frac{1.6T}{0.3s}=5.3 T/s[/tex]
CRtLk8x.png

Since I changed the magnitude of the uniform magnetic field, the magnetic flux going through both loops will change. According to Faraday's Law, both loops will experience induced EMFs due to the change in magnetic flux. This will result in current.
[tex]\frac{d\Phi _{m}}{dt} = A \frac{dB}{dt} = \epsilon[/tex]
[tex]\epsilon_{1} = \pi (5)^2 \cdot(5.3) = 416.26V \hspace{2cm}
\epsilon_{2} = \pi (2)^2 \cdot(5.3) = 66.6V[/tex]
Regardless of whether the loops are actually present or not, the changing magnetic field will create an induced electric field.
[tex]\epsilon = \oint E\cdot ds = E \cdot2\pi r \hspace{2cm}
E=\frac{\epsilon}{2\pi r}[/tex]

[tex]E_{1} =\frac{416.26}{2\pi (5)} = 13.25 V/m \hspace{2cm}
E_{2} =\frac{66.6 }{2\pi (2)} = 5.3V/m[/tex]

But the magnitudes of calculated electric fields are bugging me for two reasons:

1) At the "shared point", I have two different calculated values for the electric field. The electric field at a single point can't have two different magnitudes though! I must be doing something inherently wrong in this problem.

2) Judging by my two calculated electric fields: the strength of an induced field increases as the loop's radius increases. For some reason I keep telling myself that the electric field strength should decrease to satisfy some inverse square law. Is there a more intuitive way to look at this that could help overcome my bad instinct?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    7 KB · Views: 544
Physics news on Phys.org
Kerrigoth said:
Regardless of whether the loops are actually present or not, the changing magnetic field will create an induced electric field.
ϵ=∮E⋅ds=E⋅2πrE=ϵ2πr​
\epsilon = \oint E\cdot ds = E \cdot2\pi r \hspace{2cm} E=\frac{\epsilon}{2\pi r}
This is the mistake. E is not spatially uniform, the curl of E is spatially uniform.

Related to Calculating multiple magnitudes for induced electric field

1. How do you calculate the induced electric field for multiple magnitudes?

To calculate the induced electric field for multiple magnitudes, you first need to determine the total charge of the system. This can be done by summing up all the individual charges in the system. Next, you need to determine the distance between each charge and the point where you want to calculate the induced electric field. Finally, you can use the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the total charge, and r is the distance between the charges and the point.

2. What is the significance of calculating multiple magnitudes for induced electric field?

Calculating multiple magnitudes for induced electric field allows us to understand the overall strength and direction of the electric field in a system. It also helps in predicting the behavior of charges and objects in the presence of an electric field.

3. Can the induced electric field have both magnitude and direction?

Yes, the induced electric field can have both magnitude and direction. The magnitude of the induced electric field is determined by the total charge and the distance, while the direction is determined by the direction of the individual charges and their distances from the point of calculation.

4. How does the induced electric field change as the distance from the charges increases?

The induced electric field decreases as the distance from the charges increases. This is because the electric field follows the inverse square law, which means that the strength of the electric field decreases as the distance increases.

5. What other factors can affect the calculation of multiple magnitudes for induced electric field?

Other factors that can affect the calculation of multiple magnitudes for induced electric field include the presence of other charges in the system, the dielectric constant of the medium, and any conductive materials that may be present. These factors can alter the electric field and must be taken into consideration when calculating multiple magnitudes for induced electric field.