Calculating motorcycle lean angle

In summary, a motorcycle's lean angle is related to it's speed and the cornering radius. The turning radius is related to speed and lateral acceleration.
motecben
I would like to calculate racing motorcycle lean angle but my trig is very rusty. Data I can supply for the calculation includes 3 axis of G, 3 axis of gyro (rate of change). The gyro drifts with time as all gyros do. I also have 2 wheel speeds and GPS speed available. There are maths functions available for integration and differentiation among others.There would obviously have to be a correction put in for lateral G as the sensor is fixed on the bike.

A further interesting addition would be a compensation for the banking of a track surface. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
motecben said:
I would like to calculate racing motorcycle lean angle but my trig is very rusty. Data I can supply for the calculation includes 3 axis of G, 3 axis of gyro (rate of change). The gyro drifts with time as all gyros do. I also have 2 wheel speeds and GPS speed available. There are maths functions available for integration and differentiation among others.There would obviously have to be a correction put in for lateral G as the sensor is fixed on the bike.
A further interesting addition would be a compensation for the banking of a track surface. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.

This is all back of the envelope, but it might be right:

Assuming a flat surface and no skidding, the lean angle of the motorcycle is related to it's speed and the cornering radius as follows:

theta = arctan ( V*V / r*g)

Where g is the gravitational constant.

Now, I think you can also show that the turning radius is related to speed and lateral acceleration as:

r = V*V / a

where a is the lateral acceleration.

Substitute r in the above and you get:

theta = arctan (a/g)

So to pull 1.0 g, then you need to be turning at a 45 degree lean angle. This is the theoretical limit assuming tires can't achieve coefficients of friction greater than 1.0.

So if you really have lateral acceleration, you don't really need anything else (I think) to get lean angle.

Where are you getting (or planning on getting) your lateral G's? Are there any small sensors out there suitable for motorcycles?

- Mark

Last edited:
Motorcycle lean angle

Hi Mark and thanks for responding. This was the first time I had used this forum and I posted the same question in 2 separate areas. Yours was the only reply after several weeks!

Yes we have small accelerometers that we can run on bikes from Crossbow in the US. They are very difficult to mount in such a way as to not get too much vibration interference but sometimes we get them to work OK. We can introduce filters that will assist somewhat. The problem that I am not sure whether you have addressed is that the lateral G sensor is fixed on the bike therefore the gravitational pull on the sensor changes direction as the bike leans so there has to be a correction put in somehow?

Thanks again for your thoughts. If you have any more, please continue to post them.

Related to Calculating motorcycle lean angle

1. How do you calculate motorcycle lean angle?

To calculate motorcycle lean angle, you need to measure the distance between the center of the front and rear wheels and the center of gravity of the motorcycle. Then, using trigonometry, you can determine the angle of lean by dividing the distance by the height of the motorcycle's center of gravity.

2. What factors affect motorcycle lean angle?

The main factors that affect motorcycle lean angle are speed, weight distribution, and the curvature of the road. The faster the motorcycle is moving, the greater the lean angle required to maintain balance. Weight distribution also plays a role, with a heavier load causing the motorcycle to lean more. Additionally, the tighter the curve of the road, the greater the lean angle needed.

3. How does motorcycle lean angle affect handling?

Motorcycle lean angle directly affects handling as it determines the stability and turning ability of the motorcycle. The more the motorcycle is leaned, the more it is able to turn, but the less stable it becomes. Therefore, finding the right balance of lean angle is crucial for optimal handling.

4. Can you calculate motorcycle lean angle while riding?

It is not recommended to calculate motorcycle lean angle while riding as it requires taking measurements and using mathematical equations. This can be distracting and dangerous while operating a motorcycle. It is best to calculate lean angle before or after the ride.

5. How can understanding motorcycle lean angle improve riding skills?

Understanding motorcycle lean angle can improve riding skills by allowing the rider to better control their motorcycle and make more precise turns. It also helps riders to understand the limits of their motorcycle and how to properly distribute weight for better balance and handling.