Calculating Monthly Deposits for Future Annuity Goal

In summary, Mike needs to deposit a certain amount at the end of each month for 5 years in an account with a 2.9% interest rate compounded monthly in order to have $12,000 in 5 years. The formula to calculate the final value is S=R*((1+i)^n -1)/i, where S is the final value, R is the monthly deposit amount, i is the interest rate, and n is the number of compounding periods.
Niaboc67

Homework Statement

Mike needs $12.000 in 5 years. How much must he deposit at the end of each month for 5 years in an account paying 2.9% compounded monthly so that he will have $12.000 in 5 years?

Homework Equations

FV formula: S=R*((1+i)^n -1)/i

I think that is the correct formula

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly i don't have a clue on this...please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Niaboc67! :smile:

(try using the X2 and X2 buttons just above the Reply box :wink:
Niaboc67 said:

Yes, that is the correct formula,

because it equals R*∑k=0n-1 (1+i)k. :smile:

However, you'll never remember that formula in the exam, so you need to be able to derive it yourself,

sooo …

i] can you prove that the two formulas are the same?

ii] can you see why the second formula works? :wink:

Niaboc67 said:

Homework Statement

Mike needs $12.000 in 5 years. How much must he deposit at the end of each month for 5 years in an account paying 2.9% compounded monthly so that he will have $12.000 in 5 years?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly i don't have a clue on this...please help!

Well, if you know i and n you just have a computation to perform.

RGV

Related to Calculating Monthly Deposits for Future Annuity Goal

1. What is the definition of "Future Value of an annuity"?

The future value of an annuity refers to the total value of a series of equal payments or investments at a specific interest rate, compounded over a certain period of time. It takes into account the time value of money, as the value of money decreases over time due to inflation.

2. How is the future value of an annuity calculated?

The future value of an annuity can be calculated using the formula FV = PMT x [(1 + r)^n - 1] / r, where FV is the future value, PMT is the payment amount, r is the interest rate, and n is the number of periods. Alternatively, it can also be calculated using online future value calculators or financial software.

3. What factors affect the future value of an annuity?

The future value of an annuity is affected by the amount of each payment, the interest rate, and the length of time the payments are made. A higher payment amount, a higher interest rate, and a longer period of time will result in a higher future value of the annuity.

4. How does the future value of an annuity differ from the present value of an annuity?

The future value of an annuity represents the total value of future payments at a specific point in time, while the present value of an annuity represents the current value of future payments, taking into account the time value of money. The present value is calculated by discounting the future payments by the applicable interest rate.

5. Why is it important to understand the concept of future value of an annuity?

The future value of an annuity is an important concept for financial planning and decision making. It allows individuals and businesses to accurately assess the potential value of their investments over time, and make informed decisions about saving and investing for the future. It also helps in evaluating different investment options and determining the most profitable choice.