Calculating Momentum Impulse During Thunderstorm

In summary, during a thunderstorm, hailstones with a diameter of 2.0 cm fall at a speed of 25 m/s. With an estimated density of 0.92 g/cm3, the mass of each hailstone can be calculated. To find the average force on a flat roof measuring 10 m x 20 m, the concept of momentum flux is needed. This is calculated by finding the rate at which momentum passes through the area, which is equal to the mass passing through per second multiplied by the velocity.
chessmath
Thunderstorm During a violent thunderstorm, hail of diameter 2.0 cm falls directly downward at a speed of 25 m/s. There are estimated to be 120 hailstones per cubic meter of air.

(a) What is the mass of each hailstone (density = 0.92 g/cm3)?

(b) Assuming that the hail does not bounce, find the magnitude of the average force on a flat roof measuring 10 m x 20 m flat due to the impact of the hail? (Hint: During impact, the force on a hailstone from the roof is approximately equal to the net force on the hailstone, because the gravitational force on it is small.)

a)I figure out the first part using density and volume of each hailstone.

b) for the second part I say total mass is equal to mass in part a times 120 , then I do not know what is time because F(avg) is equal to change in momentum over t , now what is final velocity and t , If I know final velocity , I know t and vise versa , is there anyone that can help me in this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need the concept of "momentum flux", to get the rate that momentum passes through a 10x20 area. Note the latter is a force-- the rate of momentum passing through or into that area. Here the momentum is just the mass that passes through that area per second (use its speed and density), times the velocity. It's a bit unusual to think of force as a rate of mass, times a velocity, rather than a mass times a rate of change of velocity, but there you have it. It's a lot like a rocket engine problem, only in reverse.

Related to Calculating Momentum Impulse During Thunderstorm

1. What is momentum impulse?

Momentum impulse is a measure of the amount of force applied to an object over a period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the duration of the force.

2. How is momentum impulse calculated during a thunderstorm?

Momentum impulse during a thunderstorm can be calculated by measuring the force of the wind and the duration of the storm. This information can then be used to calculate the momentum impulse using the formula F x t = mv, where F is the force, t is the time, m is the mass, and v is the velocity.

3. Why is calculating momentum impulse important during a thunderstorm?

Calculating momentum impulse during a thunderstorm is important because it helps scientists understand the impact of the storm on objects and structures. It can also help in predicting the potential damage and preparing for future storms.

4. How does the mass of an object affect its momentum impulse during a thunderstorm?

The mass of an object directly affects its momentum impulse during a thunderstorm. The heavier the object, the more momentum it will have and the greater its impact will be during the storm.

5. Can momentum impulse be negative during a thunderstorm?

Yes, momentum impulse can be negative during a thunderstorm. This occurs when the force applied to an object is in the opposite direction of its velocity, resulting in a decrease in momentum.