Calculating Momentum Change with an Impulse of 25 N~s

In summary, an impulse of 25 N~s indicates a change in momentum, according to the momentum-impulse theorem. The change in momentum means that the final momentum is greater than the initial momentum, and the units of impulse can be converted to the primary units of momentum.
you too
if an impulse of 25 N~s results, how would one describe the change in momentum?

how is that number related or indicative of the change in momentum?

i could be way off. that's likely. thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
you too said:
if an impulse of 25 N~s results, how would one describe the change in momentum?

how is that number related or indicative of the change in momentum?

i could be way off. that's likely. thanks.
Impulse is change in momentum.

momentum-impulse theorem says:
delta p = impulse;
if impulse is 25 it means that there is a change in momentum, i.e. momentum is not conserved...final momentum is greater than initial...that's all I know...I hope it helped.

so if it asks what change in momentum does the cart undergo, i write 25 N~s? i thought momentum was measured in kg~m/s.

*best&sweetest* said:
momentum-impulse theorem says:
delta p = impulse;
if impulse is 25 it means that there is a change in momentum, i.e. momentum is not conserved...final momentum is greater than initial...that's all I know...I hope it helped.
[tex]Ft=m\Delta v[/tex]

What is on the left? What is on the right?

you too said:
so if it asks what change in momentum does the cart undergo, i write 25 N~s? i thought momentum was measured in kg~m/s.
If you calculate what a Newton is in primary units, you'll see that [itex]Ns=kg\,m/s[/itex]

What is on the left? What is on the right?[/QUOTE]

is that question for me?

Ft is impulse and mv is momentum, and impulse = change in momentum, or maybe it wasn't a question for me?:confused:

*best&sweetest* said:
geoffjb said:
What is on the left? What is on the right?

is that question for me?

Ft is impulse and mv is momentum, and impulse = change in momentum, or maybe it wasn't a question for me?:confused:
Sorry, I mixed you up with the OP.

you too said:
so if it asks what change in momentum does the cart undergo, i write 25 N~s?

Yes!

geoffjb, it's OK!:approve:

Related to Calculating Momentum Change with an Impulse of 25 N~s

1. What is momentum change and how is it calculated?

Momentum change is the change in an object's momentum, which is the product of its mass and velocity. It can be calculated by multiplying the impulse (force x time) applied to the object by the time interval over which the force was applied.

2. What is an impulse of 25 N~s?

An impulse of 25 N~s (newton-seconds) is a unit of measurement for the magnitude of a force applied to an object over a certain time interval. It is equal to the change in momentum of the object.

3. How is an impulse of 25 N~s applied to an object?

An impulse of 25 N~s can be applied to an object through a force acting on the object for a specific amount of time. This force can be applied by a collision, push, or pull.

4. What factors affect the momentum change of an object with an impulse of 25 N~s?

The momentum change of an object with an impulse of 25 N~s is affected by the mass and velocity of the object, as well as the direction and duration of the impulse.

5. How is momentum change with an impulse of 25 N~s used in real-world situations?

The concept of calculating momentum change with an impulse of 25 N~s is used in various real-world situations, such as analyzing the impact of collisions in sports and engineering, designing safety features for vehicles, and understanding the motion of objects in space.