Calculating Moment of Inertia and Frictional Torque for Rotating Wheel

In summary: Think it through.In summary, a wheel mounted on an axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of 50 N.m is applied to the wheel for 20s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of 600 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. The moment of inertia of the wheel is 9.8 kgm and the frictional torque is 12.8 N.m.
nns91

Homework Statement

A wheel mounted on an axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of 50 N.m is applied to the wheel for 20s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of 600 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. Find (a) the moment of inertia of the wheel, and (b) the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.

2. A wagon wheel 1.0m in diameter consists of a thin rim having a mass of 8kg and six spokes each having a mass of 1.2kg. Determine the moment of intertia of the wagon wheel for rotation about its axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I found out the moment of inertia by subsituting 50 for [tex]\tau[/tex] and calculat the angular acceleration by change in velocity / change in time.

How do I do part b ?? I am kind lost and don't know what approach to use.

2.So how do I approach this problem ? Do the spkes matter ?? Do I need an integration here ??

Physics news on Phys.org

nns91 said:

Homework Statement

A wheel mounted on an axis that is not frictionless is initially at rest. A constant external torque of 50 N.m is applied to the wheel for 20s, giving the wheel an angular velocity of 600 rev/min. The external torque is then removed, and the wheel comes to rest 120 s later. Find (a) the moment of inertia of the wheel, and (b) the frictional torque, which is assumed to be constant.

2. A wagon wheel 1.0m in diameter consists of a thin rim having a mass of 8kg and six spokes each having a mass of 1.2kg. Determine the moment of intertia of the wagon wheel for rotation about its axis.

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau[/tex] = I*[tex]\alpha[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I found out the moment of inertia by subsituting 50 for [tex]\tau[/tex] and calculat the angular acceleration by change in velocity / change in time.

How do I do part b ?? I am kind lost and don't know what approach to use.

2.So how do I approach this problem ? Do the spkes matter ?? Do I need an integration here ??

Not sure your approach to (1) is correct. 50Nm is not the net accelerating torque... You should write two equations for the behavior of the wheel, and use them to solve for the two unknowns...

What are those two equations then ?

nns91 said:
What are those two equations then ?

You tell us. You know how the Homework Help forums work...

I guess it will base on the T=I*a (I mean T as torque and a as alpha).

I can calculate alpha so I still have T and I left.

So I know the external torque is 50 but there is friction also but I don't know friction yet.

Can you give me like a hint ??

nns91 said:
I guess it will base on the T=I*a (I mean T as torque and a as alpha).

I can calculate alpha so I still have T and I left.

So I know the external torque is 50 but there is friction also but I don't know friction yet.

Can you give me like a hint ??

Hint -- when the wheel is spinning up, how many torques are acting on it? When it is spinning down, how many torques are acting on it?

When it spins up, there is one at the top, when it spins down, there is one at the bottom.

Am I right ??

nns91 said:
When it spins up, there is one at the top, when it spins down, there is one at the bottom.

Am I right ??

That's not the way I'm reading the problem (but I could be wrong I guess). It sounds like there is axle friction (not sure why it's called axis friction) torque. Friction always retards motion, right?

yep. So Torque= 50- Friction torque right ?? However, I don't know friction torque.

nns91 said:
yep. So Torque= 50- Friction torque right ?? However, I don't know friction torque.

Two equations and two unknowns...

So the first one will be: 50- Friction = alpha * I ??

nns91 said:
So the first one will be: 50- Friction = alpha * I ??

Just write 'em both down and solve 'em.

A dumb question but what do you mean by both ??

Two equations and two unknowns... Write down both equations and solve away.

I have to bail in a couple minutes. Think it through.

I thought I have only one equation ??

nns91 said:
I thought I have only one equation ??

I'm not going to hold your hand every step of the way. Go back and read all the posts in this thread, and solve the problem. Honestly, it's all there. And check your PMs in a couple minutes.

Related to Calculating Moment of Inertia and Frictional Torque for Rotating Wheel

1. What is torque of a turning wheel?

Torque of a turning wheel is the measure of the rotational force or moment applied to the wheel. It is responsible for causing the wheel to rotate around its axis.

2. How is torque of a turning wheel calculated?

Torque of a turning wheel is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by the distance from the center of the wheel to the point where the force is applied. The unit of torque is Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft).

3. What factors affect the torque of a turning wheel?

The torque of a turning wheel is affected by the magnitude of the applied force, the distance from the center of the wheel to the point of application of the force, and the angle at which the force is applied. Additionally, factors such as the size and weight of the wheel, the friction between the wheel and its axle, and the air resistance can also affect the torque.

4. How does torque of a turning wheel affect the motion of a vehicle?

The torque of a turning wheel is responsible for the acceleration of a vehicle. When a force is applied to the wheel, it causes the wheel to rotate, which in turn causes the vehicle to move forward. The greater the torque, the greater the acceleration of the vehicle.

5. How can the torque of a turning wheel be increased?

The torque of a turning wheel can be increased by increasing the force applied to the wheel or by increasing the distance from the center of the wheel to the point of application of the force. Additionally, using a larger or heavier wheel can also increase the torque. However, it is important to note that increasing the torque can also increase the strain on the vehicle's engine and other components, so it must be done carefully.