Calculating Moment of Force in a Right Triangle - 3-4-5 Triangle Example

In summary, the question is asking for the moment of the force with respect to point A. The attempted solution states that the moment of the force is the applied force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from point A to the force. I am assuming the angles are 53 degrees at A, 37 degrees at B (and the 90 of course), and treating this like a torque equation. I have no idea where to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated. It has been about 5 years since I have done any physics, so I am taking a fluid dynamics class to prepare to begin my MS in Environmental Engineering (Water) in the fall.
SpringMorning

Homework Statement

I have a 3-4-5 right triangle with the 3 as the base and the 5 as the hypotenuse.

The corner of the 3 and the 5 is point A

The corner of the 3 and the 4 is point B

At B, perpendicular to the base is a force of 100lb going down- into the corner. (Fv)

At B, Parallel to the base is a force of 100lb going "into" the corner. (Fh)

Homework Equations

The question is asking: Find the moment of the force with respect to A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the angles are 53 deg at A, 37 deg at B (and the 90 of course).

I am treating this like a torque equation but since the forces are going into the figure. I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been about 5 yrs since I have done any physics. I am taking a fluid dynamics class to prepare to begin getting my MS in Environmental Engineering (Water) in the fall.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SpringMorning said:

Homework Statement

I have a 3-4-5 right triangle with the 3 as the base and the 5 as the hypotenuse.

The corner of the 3 and the 5 is point A

The corner of the 3 and the 4 is point B

At B, perpendicular to the base is a force of 100lb going down- into the corner. (Fv)

At B, Parallel to the base is a force of 100lb going "into" the corner. (Fh)

Homework Equations

The question is asking: Find the moment of the force with respect to A.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming the angles are 53 deg at A, 37 deg at B (and the 90 of course).

I am treating this like a torque equation but since the forces are going into the figure. I have no idea where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. It's been about 5 yrs since I have done any physics. I am taking a fluid dynamics class to prepare to begin getting my MS in Environmental Engineering (Water) in the fall.

Thank you!

I am so incredibly embarrassed... I had my calculator set on radians, instead of degrees. But please check my answer if you would... I got 100 lb ft (Yes the english units are driving me nuts too but it's the way the teacher did it... when oh when will the US catch up to the rest of the world when it comes to the metric system!)

SpringMorning: I am currently unsure what the dimensions of the triangle sides are. I understand the triangle proportions; but no actual dimensions with units are stated. Nonetheless, the moment about point A would be the applied force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from point A to the force. I currently did not understand how you obtained your answer. If you show your work, someone might check your math.

nvn said:
SpringMorning: I am currently unsure what the dimensions of the triangle sides are. I understand the triangle proportions; but no actual dimensions with units are stated. Nonetheless, the moment about point A would be the applied force multiplied by the perpendicular distance from point A to the force. I currently did not understand how you obtained your answer. If you show your work, someone might check your math.

I am sorry for not being more clear.

The dimensions are in feet and lbs.

My work: T=rFsin(theta)

T1=5 ft*100lbs*sin(37)
T2=5 ft*100lbs*sin(53)

Sum T= T2-T1=399.318-399.318=approx 100 (98.41...)

The triangle is 3 ft base, 4 foot high, 5 ft hyp

Forces Fvertical= 100 lbs (perp to base)
Fhorizontal=100 lbs (parallel to base)

Both forces come into the corner of the hyp and height (5 and 4)

I hope this helps.

Thank you!

My current understanding is, the (x, y) coordinates, in units of feet, of your triangle vertices are A(0, 0), B(3, 4), C(3, 0). And the forces applied to point B are Fh = -100 lbf, and Fv = -100 lbf. If this is correct, then your answer is correct. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your diagram. See also this https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2191084".

Last edited by a moderator:
nvn said:
My current understanding is, the (x, y) coordinates, in units of feet, of your triangle vertices are A(0, 0), B(3, 4), C(3, 0). And the forces applied to point B are Fh = -100 lbf, and Fv = -100 lbf. If this is correct, then your answer is correct. Please correct me if I am misunderstanding your diagram. See also this https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=2191084".

Yes, your understanding is correct.

Thank you for checking this for me.

I have a feeling that this forum is going to be a lifesaver for me the rest of this semester!

Thank you so much!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Calculating Moment of Force in a Right Triangle - 3-4-5 Triangle Example

1. What is a moment of force?

A moment of force, also known as torque, is the measure of the turning effect of a force around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the perpendicular distance from the axis to the line of action of the force.

2. How is a moment of force different from a force?

A force is a push or pull acting on an object, while a moment of force describes the twisting or rotational effect of that force. A force can have a moment of force if it is not acting directly along the axis of rotation.

3. What are the units of measurement for a moment of force?

The SI unit for moment of force is newton-meters (N·m). In the imperial system, it is measured in foot-pounds (ft·lb) or pound-feet (lb·ft).

4. How is the direction of a moment of force determined?

The direction of a moment of force is determined by the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the force and curl your fingers towards the axis of rotation. The direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the moment of force.

5. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments states that for an object to be in equilibrium, the sum of the clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of the counterclockwise moments. This principle is used to solve problems involving moments of force and equilibrium.