Calculating Moment Generated by P on a Gate | Trigonometry Triangle Help

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the moment generated by a force using the equation PLsin@. The perpendicular distance is determined by L*sin(theta) and the moment is not affected by the direction of the force, but rather the distance it acts from the point. The formula for calculating moment is also provided.
GBE111
Could someone please explain to me how the moment generated by P is calculated by PLsin@. I understand the length I just can't figure out how it is Psin@. I believe the moment acts opposite to force F but when I build my triangle for trigonometry I'm getting it wrong?
1514906555403.jpg

Attachments

• 1514906555403.jpg
    1514906555403.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 487
Physics news on Phys.org
I moved your thread from ME to the schoolwork forums.

Can you show us your force triangle? When gravity acts vertically on that rod, in which direction is the moment vector on it?

L*sin(theta) is the perpendicular distance (lever arm) of force P about point B. Sin(theta) "acts" on the distance L, not the Force.

Moment = Force ( Cross Product) Distance in 3D
Moment = Force * Perpendicular distance in 2D

Related to Calculating Moment Generated by P on a Gate | Trigonometry Triangle Help

1. How do I calculate the moment generated by P on a gate?

The moment generated by P on a gate can be calculated by multiplying the force P by the perpendicular distance between P and the pivot point of the gate. This distance is known as the lever arm and is usually denoted by the letter d. The formula for calculating moment is M = P x d.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the moment generated by P on a gate?

The moment generated by P on a gate helps to determine the stability and balance of the gate. It also helps in designing and engineering gates to ensure they can withstand the forces applied to them.

3. Can trigonometry be used to calculate the moment generated by P on a gate?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to calculate the moment generated by P on a gate. The lever arm (d) can be calculated using trigonometric functions such as sine, cosine, or tangent, depending on the given information.

4. What are the units of measurement for moment?

The units of measurement for moment are Newton-meters (Nm) or pound-feet (lb-ft). These units are derived from the units of force (Newtons or pounds) and distance (meters or feet).

5. How does the angle between P and the gate affect the moment generated by P?

The angle between P and the gate affects the moment generated by P by changing the lever arm (d). As the angle increases, the lever arm decreases, resulting in a smaller moment. This is because the force P is acting in a more downward direction, reducing its perpendicular distance from the pivot point.