Calculating Moment Arm for a Force: Explained and Solved

• Thread starter mathdude88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arm Moment
In summary, the problem asks for the moment about O of F1 and you can determine it by extending the line of action of F1 and calculating the perpendicular distance from that extension to point O. Alternatively, you can break up F1 into its x and y components and calculate the moment arm and moment of each component about O. You can also use the cross product rule for torques if you can determine the correct angle and position vector.
mathdude88

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

T=Fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the moment arm of this problem is. I think it is suppose to be a line connecting 0 to F1 at a right angle. To draw this moment arm one would have to extend F1 past where it meets A. However I am not sure is that is the right moment arm, how to find that distance, or how the other forces come into play for this problem.

Attachments

• problem 3.jpg
    problem 3.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 444
Physics news on Phys.org
mathdude88 said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

T=Fl

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure what the moment arm of this problem is. I think it is suppose to be a line connecting 0 to F1 at a right angle. To draw this moment arm one would have to extend F1 past where it meets A. However I am not sure is that is the right moment arm, how to find that distance, or how the other forces come into play for this problem.
The problem is asking for the moment about O of F1, so don't worry about the other forces. You are correct in that you can extend the line of action of force F1 and determine the perpendicular distance from that extension to point O, but that's too much geometry and trig. Alternatively, you can break up F1 into its x and y components, and calculate the moment arm and moment of each component about O (the moment from its y component should be 0 (Why?), so you just have to deal with the x component moment.). Or you can just use the cross product rule for torques, if you can determine the correct angle and position vector to use.

The moment arm is the perpendicular distance from the point of rotation (or axis) to the line of action of the force. In this problem, the moment arm would be the distance from point A to the line of action of F1. This can be found by drawing a line from point A that is perpendicular to F1. The length of this line would be the moment arm.

To find the moment arm for other forces, you would follow the same process - draw a line from the point of rotation to the line of action of the force, and find the perpendicular distance between them.

Once you have the moment arm for each force, you can use the equation T=Fl to calculate the torque (T) created by each force. Remember that torque is a vector quantity, so you will need to consider the direction of the force and the direction of the moment arm when calculating the torque.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of moment arm and how it relates to calculating torque in this problem. Good luck with your homework!

Related to Calculating Moment Arm for a Force: Explained and Solved

1. How do you calculate moment arm for a force?

To calculate moment arm for a force, you will need to multiply the force by the perpendicular distance from the force's line of action to the point where the moment arm is being measured. This distance is also known as the lever arm or torque arm.

2. What is the formula for calculating moment arm?

The formula for calculating moment arm is: moment arm = force x perpendicular distance.

3. Why is calculating moment arm important?

Calculating moment arm is important because it helps us understand and predict the rotational motion of an object. It is also essential in engineering and physics for designing and analyzing structures and machines.

4. Can you give an example of calculating moment arm?

For example, if a force of 50 N is applied to a wrench at a distance of 0.5 meters from the bolt it is trying to turn, the moment arm would be 50 N x 0.5 m = 25 Nm. This means that the force is creating a torque of 25 Nm on the bolt.

5. How does changing the angle of application affect the moment arm?

Changing the angle of application of a force does not affect the moment arm as long as the perpendicular distance from the force's line of action to the point of measurement remains the same. However, if the perpendicular distance changes, the moment arm will also change, affecting the torque and rotational motion of the object.