Calculating Molecular Geometry Angles

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of angles between repulsions of electrons, particularly in the context of VSEPR theorem. The use of generic variables and basic knowledge about electron pairs is mentioned, as well as the complication of having an extra dimension. The conversation also touches on the octet rule and the possibility of only one bonding being possible with three n-electrons on an atom. The idea of considering it from a physics point of view is also mentioned.
relativitydude
Howdy,

I'm trying to calculate the angles between the repulsion of electrons. Well, it looks like a vector problem. Basically, can I just think of 360º between each of the individual the XY, XZ, and YZ planes. If I set everything up with generic variables to everything, will they drop out at the end so I can get the separation in degrees in the respective XY, XZ, and YZ planes, then finally taking the arc-cosine of the dot product divided by the norm of the vectors for an overall angle?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Are you studying VSEPR theorem, namely Valence Shell Electron Pair Repulsion?

You may use these basic knowledge:
  1. If the central atom has no non-bonding electron pair, the geometry should be an ideal one.
  2. If one non-bonding electron pair is present, bonding electrons escape from it, thereby causing a deviation of geometry.
  3. If more than one non-bonding electron pair is present, repulsions among non-bonding electron pairs must be neutralized first (refer to seesaw geometry of XeF2).

Well, when we have two pairs that's 180º and when we have three pairs, that's 120º, that's simple. However, four pairs is ~108º

Having that extra dimension really complicates thing. I would like to know from a physics point of view via vectors on how to calculate it.

Well, I'm not sure your reasoning is absolutely correct. In octet rule, we assume that a maximum of 8 electrons for atoms except hydrogen are available, so if there are three n-electrons on an atom, only one bonding will be possible. If there is four, it is essentially a noble gas like argon, etc. (not Helium; the total number is 2 in this case).

If you wonder it from physics point of view, make sure some physicists read this post by posting a small message and including the url to this thread.

Related to Calculating Molecular Geometry Angles

1. What is molecular geometry?

Molecular geometry is the three-dimensional arrangement of atoms in a molecule, which is determined by the relative positions of the nuclei of the atoms.

2. How do you calculate molecular geometry angles?

Molecular geometry angles can be calculated using VSEPR theory, which takes into account the number of electron groups around the central atom and the repulsion between these groups to determine the bond angles.

3. What is the difference between bond angles and molecular geometry angles?

Bond angles refer to the angles between the bonds in a molecule, while molecular geometry angles refer to the angles between the atoms in a molecule.

4. What factors affect molecular geometry angles?

The factors that affect molecular geometry angles include the number of electron groups around the central atom, the type of bonds (single, double, or triple), and the presence of lone pairs of electrons.

5. How do molecular geometry angles affect a molecule's properties?

Molecular geometry angles can affect a molecule's properties by influencing the molecule's polarity, reactivity, and stability. Different angles can also lead to different molecular shapes, which can impact the molecule's physical and chemical properties.