Calculating Molar Mass from Titration Data

In summary, a 0.149 g sample of a weak acid required 16.80 mL of 0.110 M NaOH to reach the equivalence point. Using this information, the molar mass of the acid was calculated to be 80.69 g/mol. However, due to rounding errors, the actual result is 80.63 g/mol.
A_Munk3y

Homework Statement

A 0.149 g sample of a weak acid (HA) requires 16.80 mL of 0.110 M NaOH to completely reach the equivalence point. What is the Molar Mass of the acid?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't think i did it right.
i just did 0.0168Lx0.110M= 0.001848 moles
then did 0.149/0.001848 = 80.69 g/mole

dont think that's right though, because i think I am supposed to use NaOH somehow

Physics news on Phys.org
A_Munk3y said:
dont think that's right though, because i think I am supposed to use NaOH somehow

You have used it to calculate number of moles.

I got 80.63 g/mol, your result differs because of rounding errors.

--

oh, so i was right :)
ok thank you sir!

Related to Calculating Molar Mass from Titration Data

What is titration of a weak acid?

Titration of a weak acid is a laboratory technique used to determine the concentration of a weak acid in a solution. It involves adding a strong base to the weak acid until they reach neutralization, and then using the volume and concentration of the base to calculate the concentration of the acid.

What are the equipment and materials needed for titration of a weak acid?

The equipment and materials needed for titration of a weak acid include a burette, pipette, beaker, conical flask, indicator, and a known concentration of a strong base solution. You will also need distilled water, a stirrer, and a clamp to hold the burette in place.

What is the purpose of using an indicator in titration of a weak acid?

An indicator is used in titration of a weak acid to determine when the neutralization point has been reached. It is a substance that changes color when the solution becomes neutral, indicating that all the weak acid has reacted with the strong base.

What is the difference between titration of a strong acid and a weak acid?

The main difference between titration of a strong acid and a weak acid is the endpoint. With a strong acid, the endpoint is easily determined as the solution turns completely acidic. However, with a weak acid, the endpoint is determined by the use of an indicator, as the solution will not become completely neutral.

What factors can affect the accuracy of titration of a weak acid?

The accuracy of titration of a weak acid can be affected by several factors, including the concentration and volume of the weak acid, the concentration and volume of the strong base, the accuracy of the equipment used, and the skill of the person performing the titration. Temperature and air bubbles in the solution can also affect the accuracy of the results.