Calculating minimum energy to remove satellite from orbit

In summary, the conversation discusses the speed of a satellite orbiting the Earth and the minimum amount of energy required to move the satellite to a location far away from the Earth. The speed of the satellite is calculated using the equation v=SQRT(G*mEarth/r) and is found to be 7272.88 m/s. To calculate the minimum amount of energy required, the equation GMm/r is used, but it must be subtracted by the present kinetic energy of the satellite. After realizing that the kinetic energy must be divided by 2, the correct answer for the minimum amount of energy is found to be 2.38e11 J.
guitarman

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass 4500 kg orbits the Earth in a circular orbit of radius of 7.6 x 10^6 m (this is above the Earth's atmosphere).The mass of the Earth is 6.0 x 10^24 kg.
What is the speed of the satellite?

What is the minimum amount of energy required to move the satellite from this orbit to a location very far away from the Earth?

Homework Equations

F = mSatellite*a = G*mEarth*mSatellite/r²
a = G*mEarth/r² = v²/r -> v=SQRT(G*mEarth/r)
r = 7.6 x 10^6 km
mEarth = 6 × 10^24 kg

v = 7272.88 m/s

minimum amount of energy = increase of potential energy = 0 - (-GMm/r) = GMm/r = 6.67*10^(-11)*6.0*10^24*4500/7.6*10^6 = 2.38e11 J

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that I obtained the correct velocity, but when I try to solve for the energy required I get the wrong answer. Is the above equation for calculating the minimum amount of energy incorrect? What should I be doing?
Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Escaping the Earth (to very far away) means having kinetic energy equal to GMm/r.
You have some KE already, so you need GMM/r - the present KE.

Ahhhh I see, so I would need to do something such as

2.38e11 J - (4500 kg)(7272.88 m/s)^2 =-209,935 J

But I cannot have a negative number for this, as energy must be put into remove the satellite from the Earths orbit.
If I am correct, what I did above was total energy - energy of satellite... Shouldn't this be correct, since the energy needed to remove the satellite plus the energy of the satellite must equal total energy.
I feel that I am making an elementary mistake, so could someone please help clarify this for me?

You forgot to divide (4500 kg)(7272.88 m/s)^2 by 2!

It looks like we're working on the same homework questions:)

Related to Calculating minimum energy to remove satellite from orbit

What is the minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit?

The minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit is known as the escape velocity. This is the speed at which an object must travel to break free from the gravitational pull of a planet or other celestial body. The escape velocity varies depending on the mass and size of the planet.

How is the escape velocity calculated?

The escape velocity can be calculated using the following formula:Ve = √ (2GM/r)Where:Ve = escape velocityG = gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 m^3/kg*s^2)M = mass of the planetr = distance between the object and the center of the planet

What factors affect the minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit?

The minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit is affected by the mass and size of the planet, as well as the altitude and speed of the satellite. Other factors such as atmospheric drag, solar wind, and gravitational perturbations from other celestial bodies can also affect the energy required.

Can the minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit be reduced?

Yes, the energy required can be reduced by using a gravitational slingshot maneuver, where the satellite utilizes the gravitational pull of a planet to gain speed and break free from its orbit. This technique is commonly used in space missions to conserve fuel and reduce the cost of launching a satellite.

What are some applications of calculating the minimum energy to remove a satellite from orbit?

Knowing the minimum energy required to remove a satellite from orbit is crucial for space missions, as it helps in determining the amount of fuel needed for a successful launch. It is also important for space debris management, as it allows us to safely remove old satellites and space debris from orbit to prevent collisions with active satellites. Additionally, understanding escape velocity is important for studying the formation and evolution of planets and other celestial bodies.