Calculating Minimum Coefficient of Friction for Safe Rotor-Ride at Carnival

In summary, the minimum coefficient of static friction so that the people will not slip down is -3.63.
cubejunkies
In a "Rotor-ride" at a carnival, people are rotated in a cylindrically walled "room". The room radius is 4.6 m, and the rotation frequency is 0.50 revolutions per second when the floor drops out. What is the minimum coefficient of static friction so that the people will not slip down?

Attempt at solution

Force of friction + Centripetal force = Force of gravity
μs Fn + mar = mg
μs g + v2/r = g
μs = (g- v2/r)/g
μs = (g-4π2r f2)/g
μs = (9.8 - 4π2(4.6)(0.5)2)/ 9.8
μs = -3.63

This obviously makes no sense because a coefficient of static friction must be less than 1 and positive to begin with and the answer in the back of the book is 0.22

I've rechecked my math several times over so i know my error has to be in my initial step of setting the force of friction and the centripetal force equal to the force of gravity, but this is my best guess as to how the answer could come about

Thank you for any help!
Anthony

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not true: "Force of friction + Centripetal force = Force of gravity"

For a person to not slip downwards, what forces must be balanced? Draw a free body diagram

zhermes said:
This is not true: "Force of friction + Centripetal force = Force of gravity"

For a person to not slip downwards, what forces must be balanced? Draw a free body diagram

In a free body diagram there would be a person with centripetal force going inward, force of gravity vertically down and the normal force to gravity straight up, and to not fall would mean the gravity and normal forces being equal to each other...?

Yes, if by "normal force to gravity" you mean "force of friction."

so i should try solving Ffr= Fg ?

Exactly. What equation do you get force the force of friction?

Is it Fn μs = Ffr ?

Okay I think I got it

Ffr=Fg
Fn μs = mg
[STRIKE]m[/STRIKE](v2/r) μs = [STRIKE]m[/STRIKE]g
4 [tex]\pi[/tex]2r f2 μs = g

Then inputting all the given values and solving for μs yields the correct answer of 0.22

Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Good work! Happy to help.

Related to Calculating Minimum Coefficient of Friction for Safe Rotor-Ride at Carnival

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. The object's velocity is constantly changing as it moves around the circle, but its speed remains the same.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a force known as centripetal force, which pulls the object towards the center of the circle. This force is required to keep the object moving in a circular path instead of moving in a straight line.

3. How do you calculate the centripetal force in circular motion?

The formula for centripetal force is Fc = (mv^2)/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circle. This formula shows that the centripetal force is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object and inversely proportional to the radius of the circle.

4. Is centrifugal force a real force in circular motion?

No, centrifugal force is not a real force. It is an apparent force that seems to act on an object moving in a circle, but it is actually just an effect of the object's inertia. Centripetal force is the only real force acting on an object in circular motion.

5. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some common examples of circular motion include the moon revolving around the Earth, a car turning a corner, a Ferris wheel, and a spinning top. Any object that moves in a circular path can be considered an example of circular motion.