Calculating Mechanical Energy Lost on Slide for 25.0 kg Child

In summary, the problem involves calculating the mechanical energy lost due to friction as a child slides down a slide in a playground. The child starts from rest at a height of 19.00 m and is moving at a speed of 9.10 m/s when she reaches a height of 6.00 m. The solution involves using conservation of energy to find the potential and kinetic energies at the two points and taking the difference to find the energy lost due to friction.
Sumbhajee

Homework Statement

A 25.0 kg child slides down a long slide in a playground. She starts from rest at a height h1 of 19.00 m. When she is partway down the slide, at a height h2 of 6.00 m, she is moving at a speed of 9.10 m/s. Calculate the mechanical energy lost due to friction (as heat, etc.).
http://schubert.tmcc.edu/enc/81/eb6d48e17d7ac6da6bcc155569197bc91de6184725281bb9c7a8766b6518bc88bed47674ecdc931377509dc0eb7e26d7db2890f53e24b7f2d99a7111ddfa3536dc35b6f684771013136fcdf8150697ebc0e216fcb068cc8874c532077ab9fdb93e14da5cdf2b76ec.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This question has something to do with change in potential energy and kinetic energy, but i am not sure where to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are not showing any attempt. Before attempting the problems of this type, you must have gone through conservation of energy in freely falling body. Why don't you apply that?

I have found potential energy at the top of the system (Pe=mgy). I have also found kinetic energy at the lower point (Ke=.5mv^2). It would make sense to take the difference, but I have already tried this method.

Without friction, total energy is conserved. Which means the sum of your kinetic and potential energies should be equal at any two points taken. Are you sure you're including all forms of energy for the second point?

I was able to find the answer! Thanks for the tips!

Related to Calculating Mechanical Energy Lost on Slide for 25.0 kg Child

1. How do you calculate mechanical energy lost on a slide for a 25.0 kg child?

To calculate mechanical energy lost on a slide, you need to know the initial and final velocities of the child, as well as the height of the slide. The formula for mechanical energy is ME = mgh + 1/2mv^2. Plug in the values and solve for ME.

2. What is the formula for calculating mechanical energy?

The formula for mechanical energy is ME = mgh + 1/2mv^2, where m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, h is the height, and v is the velocity.

3. What is the unit of measurement for mechanical energy?

The unit of measurement for mechanical energy is joules (J).

4. Why is it important to calculate mechanical energy lost on a slide?

Calculating mechanical energy lost on a slide can help determine the efficiency of the slide and identify any potential safety hazards. It can also be used to compare different slides and determine which ones provide the most fun and safe experience for children.

5. How does the mass of the child affect the mechanical energy lost on a slide?

The mass of the child affects the mechanical energy lost on a slide because the formula for mechanical energy includes the mass of the object. A heavier child will have more potential energy and therefore may lose more mechanical energy on the slide compared to a lighter child. However, factors such as the initial velocity and height of the slide also play a role in the calculation.