Calculating Mean Life of Mesons at Rest

In summary, the half life time of mesons with a velocity of 0.95 c has been experimentally determined as 6 x 10^-6 s. To calculate the half life of these mesons at rest, one can use Lorentz transformations and either calculate the time difference in the muon's rest frame or the spatial difference in the lab frame. The resulting half life is approximately 10% less than that of mesons with a velocity of 0.95 c.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The half life time of mesons [tex]\mu[/tex] with velocity [tex]0.95 c[/tex] has been obtained experimentally as [tex]6\times 10^{-6}s[/tex].
Calculate the half life of those mesons in a system in which they are at rest.

Note: It shouldn't be "half life" but something like "mean life" or something like that, I don't know how to translate. Anyway it's not relevant to the problem.

Homework Equations

Lorentz transformations.

The Attempt at a Solution

Say I have a reference frame O and O' where O is the system at rest and O' the one moving at 0.95 c from the mesons.
They give me, I believe, [tex]t_B'-t_A'=6 \times 10^{-6}s[/tex]. They ask me [tex]T_B-T_A[/tex].
Using Lorentz transformations, I get that [tex]T_B-T_A=\frac{vx_B}{c^2}-\frac{vx_A}{c^2}[/tex]. So my problem is to get rid of a distance relationship. They don't say anything about distance... or should I calculate the distance the mesons travel in [tex]6 \times 10^{-6}s[/tex] which would give me [tex]x_B'-x_A'[/tex]? And then I could calculate [tex]x_A-x_B[/tex] with Lorentz transformations and I think the problem would be solved... does this sound correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
fluidistic said:
or should I calculate the distance the mesons travel in [tex]6 \times 10^{-6}s[/tex] which would give me [tex]x_B'-x_A'[/tex]?
You have two events: the muon's creation and the muon's decay. What you know about the events is the temporal difference between them in the lab frame and the spatial difference in the muon's rest frame. That's enough info to calculate the time elapsed in the muon's rest frame. Alternately, you could also calculate the spatial difference in the lab frame, which then allows you to calculate the time elapsed in the muon frame. In either case, you'll use a Lorentz transformation equation, but you use different ones depending on which method you choose.

Last edited:
Ok so I just followed my thoughts which is basically what you said. I reach as a final answer: [tex]5.415001691 \times 10 ^{-6}s[/tex] which is roughly 10% less time of life than mesons with 0.95c speed. Don't know if it's correct.

Hmm, maybe you should show us your work. I get about 2 μs.

vela said:
Hmm, maybe you should show us your work. I get about 2 μs.
Sure.
Wow, when I was writing my work here, I saw my error... Nevermind, I restart it all. I will try to see if my future result will match yours.

I now get (with less algebra!) [tex]1.8734994 \times 10^{-6}s[/tex]. If you don't get this, let me know and I show my work.

Yup, that matches what I got.

vela said:
Yup, that matches what I got.
Thanks for the confirmation, problem solved.

Related to Calculating Mean Life of Mesons at Rest

1. What is the purpose of calculating the mean life of mesons at rest?

The mean life of mesons at rest is an important measurement in particle physics that helps us understand the decay processes of these subatomic particles. It also provides insight into the fundamental properties of mesons and their interactions with other particles.

2. How is the mean life of mesons at rest calculated?

To calculate the mean life of mesons at rest, we use the formula t = 1/Γ, where t is the mean life and Γ is the decay width. The decay width is determined by measuring the rate of decay of a large number of mesons and then using statistical methods to find the average time it takes for a meson to decay.

3. What factors affect the mean life of mesons at rest?

The mean life of mesons at rest can be affected by various factors such as the type of meson, its energy, and the environment it is in. The decay width can also be influenced by the strong and weak nuclear forces, as well as the electromagnetic force.

4. How does the mean life of mesons at rest relate to the half-life?

The mean life of mesons at rest is equal to the half-life multiplied by the natural logarithm of 2. The half-life is the time it takes for half of the initial number of mesons to decay, while the mean life is the average time it takes for a meson to decay.

5. What are some applications of knowing the mean life of mesons at rest?

Knowing the mean life of mesons at rest is crucial in particle physics research, as it helps us understand the behavior of particles and their interactions. It can also be used in practical applications such as medical imaging and radiation therapy, where mesons are used to produce images and treat cancerous cells.