Calculating Maximum Height & Vertical Velocity of Kong Throws

In summary, for a physics experiment involving throwing a kong, we were instructed to measure the distance and time for two throws. Using the formula V=d/t, the horizontal velocity for each throw was calculated. To find the vertical velocity, the maximum height of the kong needed to be determined. This was done by dividing the maximum height by half of the time taken to reach the ground, and then using the formula x=1/2(a)(t^2) to find the height. The results were: Throw #1- Horizontal Velocity: 10.61m/s, Vertical Velocity: 12.25m/s, Maximum Height: 30.01m. Throw #2- Horizontal Velocity: 16.93
Charlie_russo
(I have already posted this problem in the physics help, but it is more math than physics, so I am also posting it here)

For a physics experiment, we had to take a kong (dog toy with a rubber ball on the end of a rope), twirl it and then throw it as far as we could. We were told to record how long it was in the air for, and the distance for two throws. This was all was we were told to record. Afterwards, we need to find the maximum height the kong reaches, it's horizontal velocity as it is in the air and it's vertical velocity when it hits the ground.

Throw #1-

Distance: 52m
Time: 4.9s

Throw #2-

Distance: 65m
Time: 3.84s

So far, I have been able to figure out the horizontal velocity by using V=d/t.

#1- 52m/4.9s=10.61m/s

#2- 65m/3.84s=16.93m/s

Now, I think that in order to find the vertical velocity, I would need to first find the kongs maximum height, and then divide this by half of the time, (since at the halfway point the kong will now be traveling horizontally, and would take the same amount of time to reach the ground as a kong that is dropped from the same height). However, I am not sure on how to find the maximum height.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know the formulas for the horizontal a vertical distances and speeds? Putting distance and time into the formula for vertical distance should tell you the initial vertical speed and then you can use the distance formula, with half the time, to find the maximum height.

no, I don't know the formula, :(

ok, i think i figured out how to solve it. at half the total time, the kong will be going horizontal, so the time it will take to reach the ground is the same as if it was just dropped from the same height. I can than use x=1/2(a)(t^2) to find the height. WOuld this work right?

ok, here is what i got...

#1-

Horizontal Velocity- 10.61m/s
Vertical Velocity- 12.25m/s
Maximum Height- 30.01m

#2-

Horizontal Velocity- 16.93m/s
Vertical Velocity- 9.6m/s
Maximum Height- 18.43m

Related to Calculating Maximum Height & Vertical Velocity of Kong Throws

1. How do I calculate the maximum height of a Kong throw?

To calculate the maximum height of a Kong throw, you will need to know the initial vertical velocity of the throw and the acceleration due to gravity. You can use the equation h = (v0^2)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v0 is the initial vertical velocity, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). Plug in the values and solve for h.

2. What is the initial vertical velocity of a Kong throw?

The initial vertical velocity of a Kong throw can vary depending on factors such as the height of the thrower and the amount of force applied. However, it is typically around 5 to 6 meters per second. This can be measured using a device such as a radar gun or by using a video analysis software to track the motion of the throw.

3. How does the height of the thrower affect the maximum height of the Kong throw?

The height of the thrower does not have a significant impact on the maximum height of the Kong throw. As long as the throw is executed with the same initial vertical velocity and in the same conditions, the maximum height will remain the same regardless of the thrower's height.

4. Can you calculate the maximum height of a Kong throw if the initial vertical velocity is not known?

No, the maximum height cannot be accurately calculated without knowing the initial vertical velocity. However, you can use a video analysis software to track the motion of the throw and estimate the initial vertical velocity from the data.

5. How can I improve the maximum height and velocity of my Kong throws?

To improve the maximum height and velocity of your Kong throws, you can focus on increasing your upper body and core strength, as well as improving your technique and form. You can also practice regularly to develop muscle memory and improve your throwing skills.