Calculating Max Depth of Apparatus on Mars

In summary: The device can dive to a depth of 275 m in a freshwater lake on Earth because the external gauge pressure is 1.04*10^5 Pa. If the device were to be used in a lake on Mars, where the acceleration due to gravity is 3.70 m/s^2 but the denisty of water is essentially the same as on earth, the greatest depth to which it could safely dive is closest to 1930 m.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

On Earth a certain apparatus can safely dive to a depth of 275m in a freshwater lake. This limitation is due to the external gauge pressure on the apparatus. If this device were to be used in a lake on Mars, where the acceleration due to gravity is 3.70m/s^2 but the denisty of water is essentially the same as on earth, the greatest depth to which it could safely dive is closest to
1930m
728m
169m
448m
104m

Homework Equations

p=p0+dgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the pressure of the Earth dive to be 1.04*10^5pa using p=1.013*10^5+9.81*1*275. I know the g value for Mars will be different and I think the atmospheric pressure on Mars is different but is there a way to calculate the atm pressure of mars? Or am I to solve the problem without using either atmospheric pressures?

Physics news on Phys.org
For this problem you might want to assume that Mars has no atmosphere.

With the lower gravity then the weight of the water will be less by the factor of gravity times the height of the water then won't it? So the maximum on Mars will be Gm*MaxDepthm = g*275m ?

ok If I include the atmospheric pressure on Earth and assume Mars has no atmosphere The depth at which the apparatus can dive is much larger than any of the given choices. Am I to calculate the pressure the apparatus can withstand on Earth by not including the atmospheric pressure on earth?

I think you can safely assume that the ρgh term will dominate at greater than 100m.

That leaves simply

X = 275 * Ge/Gm

ok if the pgh term dominates at fairly deep water depths than why would the pressure from water at 100m only add 981 pascals but at sea level the atmospheric pressure is 1.013*10^5. Or are my units wrong?

Related to Calculating Max Depth of Apparatus on Mars

1. How is the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars calculated?

The maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars is calculated by taking into account the atmospheric pressure, temperature, and gravity of the planet. These factors affect how deep an apparatus can be dug into the surface without collapsing or malfunctioning.

2. What is the average maximum depth that an apparatus can reach on Mars?

The average maximum depth that an apparatus can reach on Mars is around 10-15 feet. This depth may vary depending on the location and conditions of the specific site where the apparatus is being used.

3. How does the atmospheric pressure affect the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars?

The atmospheric pressure on Mars is much lower than on Earth, which means that the force pushing down on the surface is also lower. This can affect how deep an apparatus can be dug before it collapses or experiences malfunctions.

4. Can the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars be increased with technology?

Yes, the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars can potentially be increased with advancements in technology. This could include stronger materials, better construction methods, or even the use of robots to dig deeper than what is currently possible.

5. Are there any safety concerns when calculating the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars?

Yes, safety is a crucial factor when calculating the maximum depth of an apparatus on Mars. The low atmospheric pressure, extreme temperatures, and unknown terrain can pose risks for both the apparatus and the individuals operating it. Proper safety measures must be taken into consideration before attempting to dig to maximum depths on Mars.