Calculating Mass of Atwood Machine to Keep It Still

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the value of M in the Atwood machine so that it remains stationary. The tension in the ropes attached to M and connecting m1 and m2 are equal, and using this and the equations for tension and acceleration, it is determined that M is equal to 4m1m2/(m1+m2). The process is simplified and discussed, with the final value being a function of only m1 and m2.
mmmboh
In the Atwood machine, what should M be, in terms of m1 and m2 so that it doesn't move? [PLAIN]http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/8288/atwood.jpg

My work: It doesn't move, so I said T1=Mg (T1 is the tension in the rope attached to M), I believe the tension in the rope connecting m1 and m2 is the same since its the same rope, so I said T1=2T2. And I said T2-m1g=m1*a, and T2-m2g=-m2*a, negative because the acceleration of those masses is in opposite directions, but should be of the same magnitude. Adding those two equations together, I find T2=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/2, and since T1=2T2=Mg, I said
M=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/g...and I can simplify this to M=2m2*(g-a)/g.
I don't believe this is right because it isn't just in terms of m1 and m2...I did it another way before and got M=(m1+m2)/2, but I don't believe the process was right.
Any help? this is due in the morning.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
mmmboh said:
In the Atwood machine, what should M be, in terms of m1 and m2 so that it doesn't move?

My work: It doesn't move, so I said T1=Mg (T1 is the tension in the rope attached to M), I believe the tension in the rope connecting m1 and m2 is the same since its the same rope, so I said T1=2T2. And I said T2-m1g=m1*a, and T2-m2g=-m2*a, negative because the acceleration of those masses is in opposite directions, but should be of the same magnitude. Adding those two equations together, I find T2=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/2, and since T1=2T2=Mg, I said
M=[m1(g+a)+m2(g-a)]/g...and I can simplify this to M=2m2*(g-a)/g.
I don't believe this is right because it isn't just in terms of m1 and m2...I did it another way before and got M=(m1+m2)/2, but I don't believe the process was right.
Any help? this is due in the morning.

Thanks.
This is very good, and correct...but, you have written M as a function of m2, g, and a...you need to solve for a to find M as a function of m1, m2, and g
Edit...g cancels out...M is a function of m1 and m2 only

Last edited:
Ok, if I did my algebra right, I get 4m1m2/(m1+m2), is this what you got?

mmmboh said:
Ok, if I did my algebra right, I get 4m1m2/(m1+m2), is this what you got?
Yes, that is very good work, I must say. It is difficult setting up the equations, then doing the algebra, with letter vs. numerical values..nice job simplifying, also!:approve:

I would first like to commend you for your efforts in attempting to solve this problem. Your approach is certainly on the right track, but there are a few issues with your calculations that may have led to incorrect results.

Firstly, in the Atwood machine, the masses m1 and m2 are connected by a rope that passes over a pulley. This means that the tension in the rope is the same throughout, as you correctly noted. However, your calculation of T1=2T2 is incorrect. The correct relationship is T1=T2+m1g, where T2 is the tension in the rope connected to m2. This is because the weight of m1 is pulling down on the rope connected to T1, increasing the tension in that rope by an amount equal to m1g.

Secondly, your equations for the tension in the two ropes are incorrect. The correct equations are T1=m1a and T2=m2a. This is because the acceleration of the masses is equal to the acceleration of the pulley, which is the same for both ropes. With these corrections, we can rewrite your equation for T2 as T2=[m1(g+a)-m2a]/2. Substituting this into T1=T2+m1g, we get T1=[m1(g+a)-m2a]/2+m1g.

Finally, to solve for M, we need to consider the forces acting on the entire system. The only external force acting on the system is the weight of M, which is Mg. Therefore, in order for the system to remain still, the net force on M must be zero. This means that T1-T2=Mg. Substituting our expressions for T1 and T2, we get:

[m1(g+a)-m2a]/2+m1g-[m1(g+a)-m2a]/2=Mg

Simplifying this equation gives us:

M=m1+m2

This result is in agreement with your previous calculation of M=(m1+m2)/2. This is because in a balanced Atwood machine, the mass of the pulley (represented by M) is equal to the average of the two masses on either side.

In conclusion, the correct expression for M in terms of m1 and m2 is M=m1+m2. I hope this clarifies any confusion and helps you to better understand the Atwood machine

Related to Calculating Mass of Atwood Machine to Keep It Still

1. How is mass calculated for an Atwood machine?

The mass of an Atwood machine is calculated by adding the weight of each object on either side of the pulley. This includes the weight of the pulley itself.

2. What is the formula for calculating mass in an Atwood machine?

The formula for calculating mass in an Atwood machine is: M = (m1 - m2) / (a1 - a2), where M is the mass of the Atwood machine, m1 and m2 are the masses on either side of the pulley, and a1 and a2 are the corresponding accelerations.

3. How does the mass affect the equilibrium of an Atwood machine?

The mass of an Atwood machine affects the equilibrium by determining the tension in the string. As the mass on one side increases, the tension in the string also increases, causing the system to move towards equilibrium.

4. Can the mass of an Atwood machine be changed while it is in motion?

Yes, the mass of an Atwood machine can be changed while it is in motion. However, this will cause a change in the acceleration and tension in the string, altering the equilibrium of the system.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating mass in an Atwood machine?

The accuracy of calculating mass in an Atwood machine can be affected by factors such as friction between the pulley and string, air resistance, and human error in measurement and calculation. These factors can cause discrepancies between the expected mass and the calculated mass of the system.