Calculating Mass for Gravitational Time Dilation

And again the second equation in words: The mass M you need to place in a distance r from the center of mass for a time dilation factor of T with respect to infinity isM = c² · r · (1 - 1/T²) / 2G
marksrobby
Hello all. I'm trying to determine the mass of an object required to make it so that a traveler on a massive planet experiences 1 day but on earth, or some infinitely distance away from the planet, 1000 years passes by. I'm using the following equation:

t0 = tf*root(1-(2GM/rc^2))
Found here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_time_dilation#Outside_a_non-rotating_sphere

I'm trying to solve for M. I end up with the following equation:

M = rc^2 * (1 - (t0/tf)^2)/2G

I arbitrarily picked r = 1 * 10^6 meters. When I run through this equation I get a negative mass. What am I doing wrong?

P.S. This is not a homework assignment, I'm just a curious guy trying this equation out.

Physics news on Phys.org
M = rc^2 * (1 - (t0/tf)^2)/2G

The terms "1-" and ".../2G" are wrong and need to be replaced with ".../2/G".

## r=\frac{2\cdot T^-2}{T^-2-1}\cdot \frac{G\cdot M}{c^2} ##

with T=dt/dτ (Note that it is T-2, not T-2). So if you want the time dilation factor to be T = 10000, you place the observer who's clock you want to tick slower in a distance of 200000000/99999999 GM/c² from the center of mass. At r = 2GM/c² (the Schwarzschildradius) the time dilation factor gets infinite; below that radius it will be imaginary.

If you have a fixed radius and want to solve for the mass use

##M = \frac{c^2\cdot r-c^2\cdot r \cdot T^-2}{2\cdot G} ##

So if you want again a time dilation factor of T = 10000 you choose the mass to be 99999999/200000000 c²/G r.

If your mass gets to large for your radius and your obverser is behind the Schwarzschildradius radius of the mass his time dilation will also be imaginary. So always make sure that

##r > \frac{2\cdot G\cdot M}{c^2} ##

or alternatively

## M < \frac{c^2 \cdot r}{2\cdot G} ##

And make sure that T ≥ 1 but never T < 1 since if the mass is positive the clocks near the mass can only tick slower, but never faster than the clock at infinity.

If you don't want to compare the clock near the mass to a clock at infinity but to a clock on Earth you have to use U = T·1.00000000007 instead of T alone (which would be the dilation factor with respect to infinity in the equations) since the clocks on Earth are already running slower by a factor of 1.00000000007 with respect to infinity. Multiplied with that factor you can use T as the dilation factor with respect to Earth and plug U into the equation instead of T to get your mass.

Last edited:
Awesome, thanks for your help!

Yukterez said:
## r=\frac{2\cdot T^-2}{T^-2-1}\cdot \frac{G\cdot M}{c^2} ##

with T=dt/dτ (Note that it is T-2, not T-2).
## r=\frac{2\cdot T^{-2}}{T^{-2}-1}\cdot \frac{G\cdot M}{c^2} ## is how you do that, fyi. Or multiply top and bottom by ##T^2## to duck the issue. :wink:

Ah, I remember, one has to write x^{-y} instead of x^-y for the Latex Interpreter to display that readable, or better yet, x^{^{-y}} to raise the index even higher. Unfortunately I can't edit the first posting anymore, so here again both equations in a better notation:

## r=\frac{2\cdot G\cdot M}{(1-1/T^2)\cdot c^2} ##

## M = \frac{c^2\cdot r \cdot (1-1/T^2)}{2\cdot G} ##

Last edited:

Related to Calculating Mass for Gravitational Time Dilation

1. How is mass calculated for gravitational time dilation?

The mass used in calculating gravitational time dilation is the "gravitational mass", which is a measure of the object's gravitational attraction. It can be calculated using the formula: m = Fg/g, where Fg is the force of gravity and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

2. Does the mass of the object affect the amount of time dilation?

Yes, the more massive an object is, the greater its gravitational pull and the stronger the effect on time dilation. This is because a higher mass means a stronger curvature of spacetime, resulting in a greater difference in the passage of time between two points.

3. Can time dilation occur without a massive object present?

Yes, time dilation can occur in the absence of a massive object, but it will be much smaller compared to when a massive object is present. This is because even in the absence of a massive object, spacetime still has a slight curvature due to the presence of energy and momentum.

4. How does distance affect gravitational time dilation?

The closer an object is to a massive object, the stronger the gravitational pull and the greater the time dilation. This is because the object is experiencing a stronger curvature of spacetime, resulting in a greater difference in the passage of time between two points.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect gravitational time dilation?

Yes, the speed of the object in relation to the gravitational field can also affect gravitational time dilation. The closer the object is to the speed of light, the greater the time dilation will be. This is known as "velocity time dilation" and it is a result of the principles of special relativity.