Calculating Mass Flow Rate of Nitrogen at 0.3m^3/s

To find the mass flow rate, you need to find the density of the gas first using the ideal gas law:PV = nRTRearranging to solve for density:density = (P * molecular mass) / (R * absolute temperature)Then, you can use the mass flow rate equation:mass flow rate = density * volumetric flow rateSubstituting in the given values, you can calculate the mass flow rate of Nitrogen traveling through the system at 0.3m^3/s. In summary, the mass flow rate can be calculated by finding the density of the gas using the ideal gas law and then using the mass flow rate equation to solve for the mass flow rate.
chartlieb01

Homework Statement

Work out the mass flow rate of Nitrogen traveling through a at 0.3m^3/s if the pressure is 1 bar and the temperature is 18°C and the ideal gas constant is 8314 J/Kg K

Homework Equations

m=ρ*V*A

m = mass flow rate
ρ= density
V = velocity
A = flow area

PV = nRT

where
P = pressure
V = volume
n = number of moles of gas
R = gas constant
T = absolute temperature

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going round and round in a circle with it, the formula is simple enough and I know how to re-arrange it to get density but I need to work out the volume which is:

V = nRT/P

in order to do this I need to find the number of moles which is:

mass of the gas/ molecular mass

how do I work out the mass of the gas?

and how do I work out the flow area when there isn't one provided?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You are given the volumetric flow rate in m^3/s which is given by:

Volumetric flow rate = velocity * flow area.

Using this, you will not need the area

Related to Calculating Mass Flow Rate of Nitrogen at 0.3m^3/s

1. How do you calculate mass flow rate of nitrogen at 0.3m^3/s?

To calculate the mass flow rate of nitrogen at 0.3m^3/s, you will need to multiply the volumetric flow rate (0.3m^3/s) by the density of nitrogen at the given conditions. The equation is: Mass flow rate (kg/s) = Volumetric flow rate (m^3/s) x Density (kg/m^3).

2. What is the density of nitrogen at standard temperature and pressure (STP)?

At STP, the density of nitrogen is 1.25 kg/m^3. However, the density may vary depending on the temperature and pressure of the system.

3. How does the mass flow rate of nitrogen change with temperature and pressure?

The mass flow rate of nitrogen will change with temperature and pressure because these factors affect the density of the gas. As temperature and pressure increase, the density of nitrogen also increases, resulting in a higher mass flow rate.

4. Can you calculate the mass flow rate of other gases using the same equation?

Yes, the same equation (Mass flow rate = Volumetric flow rate x Density) can be used to calculate the mass flow rate of any gas, as long as the density is known.

5. What are the units for mass flow rate of nitrogen?

The units for mass flow rate of nitrogen are typically kilograms per second (kg/s). However, depending on the system, other units such as grams per second (g/s) or pounds per minute (lb/min) may also be used.