Calculating Mass Density of the Universe with SDSS DR10 Quasar Catalog

In summary, the latest quasar catalog, SDSS DR10, has been released including over 100,000 known quasars, mainly at low redshift. This catalog contains 166,583 unique quasars, including 117,668 with a redshift greater than 2.15, and covers an area of 6,373 deg2. It also contains quasars targeted by the main selection process, ancillary programs, and serendipitous discoveries. The catalog was released as part of the SDSS tenth data release and is compiled from the first three years of BOSS operations. Additionally, an earlier DR release was used to calculate the approximate mass density of the universe, leading to confusion and a hobby for
Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The latest quasar catalog, SDSS DR10, has been released - http://arxiv.org/abs/1311.4870! Yes, I know, you can hardly contain your excitement.

Space news on Phys.org
I've got excitement oozing out my eyeballs. It's pretty sweet.

Good god, my mind is already blown in the first paragraph.

The first two stages of the SDSS discovered and spectroscopically confirmed more than 105,000 quasars (Schneider et al. 2010), mainly at low redshift (z ≤ 2).

I had no idea there were over 100,000 known quasars...

Edit: Gah! Even more!

This paper presents the SDSS-DR10 quasar catalog, denoted
DR10Q, which compiles all the spectroscopically-confirmed
quasars identified during the first three years of BOSS operations
and released as part of the SDSS tenth data release (Ahn et al.
2013). This catalog contains quasars targeted by the main quasar
target selection (Ross et al. 2012), the BOSS ancillary programs
(Dawson et al. 2013) and serendipitous discoveries in the galaxy
targets. It contains 166,583 unique quasars, including 117,668
with z > 2.15, over an area of 6,373 deg2

This sounds a little weird, but, I pasted one of the earlier DR releases onto an excel spreadsheet circa 2006, whereupon I discovered the [then] ~65500 row limit. What can I say? I needed a hobby. I thought it would be fascinating to calculate the approximate mass density of the universe over time this way. It was a spectacular success, I ended up spectacularly confused.

Chronos said:
This sounds a little weird, but, I pasted one of the earlier DR releases onto an excel spreadsheet circa 2006, whereupon I discovered the [then] ~65500 row limit. What can I say? I needed a hobby. I thought it would be fascinating to calculate the approximate mass density of the universe over time this way. It was a spectacular success, I ended up spectacularly confused.

Buahaha!

Related to Calculating Mass Density of the Universe with SDSS DR10 Quasar Catalog

What is the Sloan Digital Sky Survey?

The Sloan Digital Sky Survey (SDSS) is a project that has mapped and studied over 1/3 of the night sky, making it one of the most comprehensive and detailed astronomical surveys to date. It utilizes a powerful telescope and specialized software to collect data on millions of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects.

How does the Sloan Digital Sky Survey work?

The SDSS uses a 2.5-meter telescope located in New Mexico to capture images of the night sky. These images are then processed and analyzed by specialized software, which identifies and catalogs objects based on their color, brightness, and other characteristics. The data collected is then made available to the public for further research and analysis.

What kind of information can be found in the Sloan Digital Sky Survey?

The SDSS contains a vast amount of information on various astronomical objects, including stars, galaxies, quasars, and more. This includes their positions, distances, sizes, and other physical properties. The survey also includes data on the composition of these objects, such as their chemical makeup and spectral characteristics.

What are some notable discoveries made through the Sloan Digital Sky Survey?

The SDSS has made numerous significant discoveries in the field of astronomy, including the identification of millions of new galaxies, the mapping of dark matter, and the discovery of new types of astronomical objects, such as quasars. It has also provided valuable insights into the structure and evolution of the universe.

How can I access and use the data from the Sloan Digital Sky Survey?

The data collected by the SDSS is publicly available and can be accessed through the project's website or through various databases and tools. Researchers and scientists can use this data for their own studies and analyses, and the project also encourages citizen scientists and amateur astronomers to explore and contribute to the data.